Dandelion & Burdock

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajt24

Reaction score
I thought I would do a couple of experiments both fermenting away
Experiment 1
No added sugar tesco D&B fizzy pop 2litre
400g brewing sugar
wilko super wine yeast
wilko yeast neutriant

put 1tsp of yeast 1tsp of neutriant in a small galss with luke warm water and 2 tsp of sugar cover with cling film.
boiled the D&B pop for 30 mins take off the heat, added the sugar, top up to 3litre with cold water (that was the size of my pan) put in the demijohn top up again with cold water just below the neck add the yeast starter mix,
bubbling away nicely

Experiment 2

300g of brewing sugar
100g aprox dried D&B roots
2 table spoons of black treacle
lemon juice concerntrated
2 star anise
wilko super wine yeast
wilko yeast neutriant

made the yeast starter as per experiment 1
boiled the D&B roots for 20-30 mins added the star anise about half way through the boil with lemon juice 4-5 squirts took of the boil added the treacle and sugar topped up with water to 2.5 litre strained the liquid into a 3litre fermenter and topped up with cold water added the yeast starter.
bubbling away

any thoughts on these? pros or cons
I will keep you posted on how they turn out

after looking through other TC recipes its because the sugar free uses artificial sweeteners which dont ferment out so it keeps its taste/sweetness, thats the way I read it anyway not sure if its right.

Where did you source the burdock root? I foraged far and wide in my countryside and couldn't positively ID any.

There are a few plants that look very similar but are deadly poisonous :-(

So I've just settled for dandelion wine 3 years in a row.

And I bloody love dandelion and burdock!

I went to a herbalist in my town they were dried tho, I always have a look while driving but im not confident in getting the right stuff, I think you can get them online as well.

I went to a herbalist in my town they were dried tho, I always have a look while driving but im not confident in getting the right stuff, I think you can get them online as well.

Yea I looked at this option, but since I sourced the wild dandelions, I kind of wanted wild burdock root to.

Glad to hear your not running the risk of poisioning though ;-)

I believe that the boiling of the the D&B kills the preservative, I can say the yeast is very much alive they are both bubbling away nicely, the one with the dried roots in was bubbling like ive never seen before 3 bubbles per sec, its not a black colour though more of a muddy brown colour, but its all in the taste.

I too have loved D&B from childhood so the thought of making a D&B wine is terrific! :thumb: :thumb:

Keep us posted on progress with both brews 'cos I quite fancy making some and "sweet" sounds good! :thumb: :thumb:

I had a bad experience trying to get Ribena to ferment (or should i say fully)so Vimto is a no no, i am hoping the D&B works.

Oh by the way, did you pick your own dandelions? I had a friend do it for me last time. Cost me two bottles mind, but he came back with two carrier bags full!

Edit : 're read and saw you used dandelion root. Why not the flowers? Is d&b normally made of just the roots?

i was just going off a few different recipes that i saw, they seem to all say roots, the worrying thing is i saw someone in the forum ask about using D&B pop then thats the last thing he posted :-?.
So dies the vimto not work i was thinking of doing that next but the no added sugar one if they do it?

The subject about juice with preservative in it has been discussed many times, members used to say boiling it for 15 minuted gets rid of the preservative, having done that with ribena and watching it slowly ferment for several weeks only to get down to 1020 i am convinced it doesn't, there are may juices out there that make great wine there really is no need to use juice with preservative.

Have a look at this thread - http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=49462

alcoholic D&B what's not to like :grin:

the same could be said of vimto :grin:

Ugh! Cold Vimto? That's disgusting!

My first memory of Vimto was as a hot drink (as an alternative to a hot Oxo) to warm me up after swimming! :thumb: :thumb:

That was real Vimto! It came as a cordial as well as a fizzy drink (which I couldn't afford). :thumb: :thumb:

just an update, that fermenting is about finished so looking to bottle this weekend I will keep you all posted

Latest posts

Back