Dandelion Wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 23602

Landlord.
Reaction score
Anyone ever made it before?
What does it taste like?

Someone at work suggested it and I quite like the idea.

I also like the idea of an alcoholic dandelion and burdock beverage, is this possible?

I made some last year. Only tried one bottle and it was ok. Now know you are supposed to only use the yellow petals whereas I used the whole flower. Worth a try though...

Dandilion Bubbly 1GAL
2.5 pints Dandilion heads in bucket
4 pints Boiling water
Campden tablet
0.6kg Sugar
Tea
sparkling wine yeast
0.4kg Sugar in 2 pints water a few days later
When bubbling stops Demi & Bubbler
filter
A little sugar and yeast to >4 carbonation
Canderel Sweetner to bottles
EST abv 12%

My dad used to make very good dandelion wine (collecting the heads was a regular childhood punishment detail!) consequently, having just started out with wine instead of ale, I've got a dandelion on the go. I've just racked it off at 998 today for it to finish clearing down. It's a bit light on body and currently on the dry side but I'm hoping when I stabalise and if still necessary, backsweeten a bit, it will be a nice light summer wine. Especially nicely chilled.

Update on above:
Racked it off again yesterday to stabilise and ready it for bottling. FG had dropped to 994 from the previous 998 but interestingly it wasn't as dry as last time? In fact it was very quaffable! Obviously one that mellows with time. It was nicely clear already so should bottle in 1-2 weeks.

Back