Dark Islesish Clone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graysalchemy

Reaction score
Well I am brewing next week doing PD'd Dark Isle Clone. I don't know if it will resemble the original clone recipe or PD's for that matter but as I always I start with a recipe and add a twist. In this case using Roasted Barley instead of black malt as per PD's suggestion and removing the Horrified wheat and use wheat malt. I have also added toasted oats, and added late additions of Goldings my favourite hop.

Any way here is the recipe

Dark Isles Ish clone
Robust Porter

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 55.0
Total Grain (kg): 12.320
Total Hops (g): 167.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.056 (°P): 13.8
Final Gravity (FG): 1.014 (°P): 3.6
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.50 %
Colour (SRM): 27.2 (EBC): 53.6
Bitterness (IBU): 35.8 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 81
Boil Time (Minutes): 90

Grain Bill
----------------
9.500 kg Pale Ale Malt (77.11%)
0.750 kg Flaked Oats (6.09%)
0.635 kg Crystal 80 (5.15%)
0.635 kg Wheat Malt (5.15%)
0.400 kg Chocolate (3.25%)
0.400 kg Roasted Barley (3.25%)

Hop Bill
----------------
95.0 g Challenger Leaf (7% Alpha) @ 90 Minutes (Boil) (1.7 g/L)
24.0 g Challenger Leaf (7% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (0.4 g/L)
24.0 g East Kent Golding Leaf (4.7% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (0.4 g/L)
24.0 g East Kent Golding Leaf (4.7% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop) (0.4 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 67°C for 120 Minutes.
Fermented at 20°C with WLP028 - Edinburgh Scottish Ale or a yeast From Darcey :whistle:

(edited with weights now)

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

I have also not increased the ABV as I have done in the past, high ABV's are being phased out in the GA cellars well not for running beers anyway. :lol: :lol:

Thoughts anyone

Nice one Ali.
I've not used flaked oats at all but the rest seems very similar to my brew, which was very enjoyable.

A tip I picked up from Jeltz yesterday re printing from brewmate...choose export and then pick Normal. the recipe then prints out in kg and grams and not %. It keeps evanvine happy..... :D

Good brewing my friend.

A tip I picked up from Jeltz yesterday re printing from brewmate...choose export and then pick Normal. the recipe then prints out in kg and grams and not %. It keeps evanvine happy..... :D

:thumb: I will change it now I didn't notice that.

But doesn't it need to be in pounds shillings and pence for Jim :whistle: :whistle:

Well overnight mash is on all tucked up at 66c, I tried 68 but even with a strike temp of 85c I still couldn't those extra 2c.

One slight problem i thought I had was I had planned to use EKG as a late addition (not in the original recipe) so I am either going to use some Styrian Goldings or WGV. I will decide in the morning. :hmm: :hmm:

:thumb:
On a personal level I wouldn't use Styrian as a late addition, I think they could be a little overpowering in this brew and destroy a lot of the malty character that I liked.

But your da boss.......

Well i got 55l of 1057 dark wort. Sorry I didn't get any pictures :oops: :oops: .

I ran the water for my chiller through my Maxi 310, so it was really cold before it went in. It made a difference. It dropped 55l of wort from 100 to 50c in 10 minutes. Probably cut a good 15-20 minutes of chilling time.

I pitched Darcy's Blackjack Brewery Yeast on it never used it before but it looks interesting, highly flocculant by the looks of it.

Anyway it is all tucked up with heater and maxi all set at 20c.

55 litres...ya greedy pig.... :D :D

Hope it lives up to your liking.

piddledribble said:
55 litres...ya greedy pig.... :D :D

Hope it lives up to your liking.

Its fermenting well with a nice krausan which I have harvested :whistle: :whistle: . Fermenting at a steady 20c.

Back