dave_77 Brewdays- 2023 and beyond

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Worked out well as I could fit 2 of the 250ml jars in it so got enough cryo to do a few batches..think I have frozen 8 samples of 3 different strains so far and got enough cryo for another batch. My pressure cooker is one of the shallow types . If you have a taller one you could do bigger batches.
I think it's a great method after watching the video. Especially if you have some odd ball strains that you might only use once or twice a year.

Update from last weekend.

Kegged the London porter, I liked the initial tasting. Dark chocolate, berry and coffee.
IMG_20240324_144313.jpg

Kegged the Altbier last week and happy with the initial tasting using Omega Kolsch 2 ..seemed cleaner and less hazy than the dry yeasts I have used..promising 🤞🏼
IMG_20240404_160049.jpg

Brewing a Saison this evening, half way through the boil, tunes are on 🔊bit of Massive Attack tonight 😎
This is traditional Saison (Pils, rye malt, spelt & wheat) hopped with a little Hercules for bittering and Pioneer late in the boil. Using CML Wallonia as half the batch will be blended with Quince and the other half will top up my Brett Keg
IMG_20240408_180225.jpg

I just kegged another Saison tonight using saisonstein monster from omega. I will get a bottle over when it's ready 👍
Cool..I will send you a bottle of the mixed ferm Saison when it's ready..it's been conditioning in the keg for 70 days so will bottle it before today's Saison has finished fermentation.

Brewing a best bitter inspired by Five Points Best this weekend . Today starting the build up of a frozen sample of WLP013 London Ale..starting with a 60ml starter today and will build that up through the week
IMG_20240416_090522.jpg
IMG_20240416_075845.jpg

Last edited:
Another brew day today. This time it was a best bitter inspired by 5 points best..numbers were spot on. Hoping for a quick start to fermentation as the starter of WLP013 has been building up over the week from a frozen sample .
Had to use a very small amount of Red Rye Crystal as only had 60g of medium crystal left, also only had 2.5kg of Maris Otter so topped up with a kilo of pils malt.
Colour looked similar to the real thing.

https://share.brewfather.app/fAYH77MFsdasH3
IMG_20240421_160007.jpg
IMG_20240421_134743.jpg
IMG_20240421_132311.jpg

Brewing a best bitter inspired by Five Points Best this weekend . Today starting the build up of a frozen sample of WLP013 London Ale..starting with a 60ml starter today and will build that up through the weekView attachment 98255View attachment 98254
Interesting - I've not seen home frozen yeast, how do you protect it from being killed by the slow freezing in a home freezer.....or do you have access to liquid nitrogen?

Latest posts

Back