DAVID Beer Kegerator System - help!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

otterbreath

Reaction score
Hello
Sorry in advance if this is a bit long and boring. A newbie to homebrew here. First try went to vinegar. On my second batch now, Coopers Euro Lager. Going ok so far thanks to the advice on this site. Cheers for that .

I’ve been impressed all the corny/kegerator set ups so have started to gather up the corny equipment. Then when browsing through my local second hand kitchen supply shop I got a bit over excited and bought myself a cheap and fairly old commercial kegerator. However despondency at home when inspecting it more closely I realised that there seemed to be a part missing from the tap. After much googling and head scratching it turns out it is one of these David Dispensing Systems

Is anyone familiar with these? Can you give me any opinion on suitability from home brewing?
It is just about possible to squeeze two cornys in. I’m not sure the refrigeration will be suitable , very noisy, although I have only played about with it for a few minutes so far so.

The main problem is – as the above link explains – that the special kegs come with a beer tube and also spout type adapter fitted – the spout sits inside the tap body – all for ease of change over. I don’t think it will be possible to get the tap to work without one. Unfortunately it comes without a keg and so without this part. I presume that if I can get one of these beer line/spouts I can adapt it to fit a corny.

I’ve found a few beer wholesalers that supply these kegs – I thought I would buy one, drink the beer, chop the line off and return the keg . Obviously its not that easy – they want a minimum and regular order of three etc. Asking for a special Christmas favour of sending me a used beer line and spout didn’t go down well with the customer service lady.

My other option is to change the tap but this doesn’t seem straight forward – ive disconnect this from the tower – its thread diameter is approx. 1 ¼ inch. Is this standard? Doesn’t seem so from internet research. Also I think any new tap would need to be able to have a line attached directly to it.
I could change the tower but that looks like quite a bit of effort.
Any suggestions on where I can find a line and spout, friendly David Keg supplier or suitable tap?

Happy Christmas to all.
Dan

I doubt very much that anyone would be willing to fork out for one of them when they can make their own a lot cheaper (I'm imagining they're not cheap)
Can you put some pics up so we can visualise what you're talking, about as the site is very bare of pictures.

Get it on ebay and shift it on pronto . Not the most positive reply but I think you may be better cutting your losses before you sink any more into this . If the crowd here dont know about it then its a very non standard item, hence parts will be costly and hard to source . Im sorry I dont have anything better to say , hopefully someone will come along with some better news soon...good luck mate !

EDIT : these are the only people I can find who even mention it other than your own link

http://www.worthside.co.uk/company.html

thanks for the responses. - im getting the impression that the David machine isnt winning many fans. poor thing.

some extra pictures were asked for - it is one of these
another link

it came with the same type of CO2 reg that norm provides and altogether it only cost only a few quid than one of those unless i plough a load of cash into it I cant loss much.

the only photos i have of mine are the tap part tap part andtap open
snazzy design hey. you can see where the pre attached beer line spout fits in. genius.

can any one tell me if beer taps come in a range of thread diameters? or is it one standard size?

That looks like a pretty standard font tower to me, so you should be able to replace the tap if needed. Can you measure the thread to get an idea?
Have a nosey on here for ideas.

the tap thread diamater is approx 1 1/4" or maybe a little more at 1 3/8 - so about 3.5cm. i will measure it again to be certain. the length of the tread is 10mm.

thanks for the link - i will have a look.

some sexy looking taps on there. unfortunately they dont seem to give any tap thread measurements, or am i missing them?

it isnt easy finding out tap thread sizes - US standard is 1 1/8 but there appears to be no info on UK sizes. 3/8 or 1/2 seem to be suggested sizes but this seems tiny.

for anyone else that comes across one of these - the only solution i have found is to buy one of the specific kegs - heineken or birra moretti - and use reuse the beer pipe that comes with. expensive but you do get 35 pints with it.

i would say these machines arent ideal for homebrew - too noisy. will probably just use mine of special occasions.

thanks for helping out.

Back