Grainfather S40 - Mistake? Shall I return and get something else?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just had a similar reply from gareth myself. After noticing the hysteresis on temp control I queried the suitability of the device as "fit for purpose"
As has been mentioned, temperature control is pretty critical, and I honestly think the S40 is going to cause more problems.
I've asked him how to proceed from here.
My s40 is out of warranty in October I got around the mash problem by having the lid on with no recirculation. I’ve got my eye on brewzilla machine next month the s40 I’m going to have a play around with it and see if I can improve it I had the bottom off mine a while back really simple machine inside.

Sorry to keep going on about this but I really do have a bee in my bonnet re Grainfather.
They created in the early days a mysteria around them that they were better than the opposition when it arrived and were better because they had the market at the lower end to themselves which meant they were not making the margin they had created(overpriced) . This then created some online rubbishing of similar AIO even though they used the same bonded elements and pumps.
Now bear in mind apart from the control facia what was different.
This then escalated were some brewing groups online refused to let people with none Grainfather AIO's to join I am not saying all groups but certain ones.
I bought one of the first opposite AIO's called a ACE and got fed up of some and I say some Grainfather owners keep ramming it down my throat that my product was well inferior and would not last.
5 and 1/2 years later one of the elements gave up (when some Grainfather owners have given up before)but as some of you are aware I have put a Peco element in and it still works.
Now the boot is on the other foot as they have tried to combat people realising that there product was not cutting it in the lower market anymore and have produced a inferior product the S40, where is the service that they so called lived on they should have withdrawn the product or made a upgrade to rectify this issue. Lets hope they sort this problem as it is not suitable for mashing with a variance of so much and Grainfather knew this before release as I am sure their other products were made to meet this mashing criteria, it's nothing more than a Tea Urn.
Sorry for the rant feel much better now
EDIT
Ps when I bought my ACE it cost me £290 from a local supplier while the Grainfather was £549 and that was if you shopped around so £259 cheaper and most of the angst came from Grainfather owners who had to justify why their machine had cost so much more instead of realising that the opposition had arrived.
I will repeat not all owners but probably the ones that felt a little duped so had to justify the price they had payed and as you know a discussion can soon become a catfight with some posters, I was at the receiving end on some of these for daring to buy a cheap nasty piece of equipment.
2nd Ps I am not bitter and twisted anymore :laugh8::laugh8::laugh8:

Last edited:
Like I said Baron I raised The issues with the s40 with Grainfather back in November 2021 the result? They paid me out no apology no nothing. The machine is still out there with the same problems as it had when released in October 2021 quite frankly Grainfather/Bevie had the attitude it put me off GF products for life.

The original Grainfather was a good product but so was the opposition as it was mainly the same product as I have said the only real difference was the controller.
They really do need to sort this out I would think it would be quite simple to upgrade with their knowledge but they have really shown their true colours. If I am right did they have a problem with the controllers on the newer style G40's which caused a few complaints too.
My machine was the same as what is now the Angel Brew, Brew Monk etc so it was that rubbish plenty of respectable sellers just re-badged the machines are are still selling it today.

They have had nearly 2 years to sort this out and they haven’t done anything I do note on of the klarstein models is identical to the s40 but has a different controller and firmware that does work better than the s40. What does that tell you?

The mashing issue is what got me the refund I desired. 3 degrees simply isn't good control to hit desired numbers properly. How are you supposed to repeat a brew when there's that much of a swing? It's a lottery in terms of FG on this thing!
I have to admit I was happy with the AIO aspect to start with but looking at my brewing history since I started using it the FG numbers have been all over the place. Best I see when I bought it and see if I can get a refund?

My Klarstein AIO says not to use the pump above 80 degrees so I don't but this will still sanitise.
When I used a home made counterflow. I always used to run star San through it and then the first run off of 80 degree wort circulated without water.
I've got a vevor pump that I think is rated higher than the klarstein so I may use this just off the boil.

Will do.
I've been dealing with him so hopefully he comes back tomorrow with something from them.

Wonder if anyone on here is good with refund emails? Anyone fancy writing a template out?
I looked but couldn't find what I sent. It was something along the lines of...

1. Mash isn't accurate as it's only to within 3 degree control either way.
2. The mash issue causes massive unpredictability and brew repeatability is impossible as the FG is a lottery. I iterated how important this is personally as I like to be able to repeat brews if I wish.
3. I mentioned how disappointing the S40 is as it is my first foray into an all in one and it doesn't work as it should.
4. As a result of all this combined I'd like a refund.
5. I look forward to hearing from you.

My opinion on complaining is that you can complain whilst still being amicable. It's all about tone. Keep the tone friendly and generally people are willing to try and help you. Go in like a bull in a China shop, it gets people's backs up.

Last edited:
I looked but couldn't find what I sent. It was something along the lines of...

1. Mash isn't accurate as it's only to within 3 degree control either way.
2. The mash issue causes massive unpredictability and brew repeatability is impossible as the FG is a lottery. I iterated how important this is personally as I like to be able to repeat brews if I wish.
3. I mentioned how disappointing the S40 is as it is my first foray into an all in one and it doesn't work as it should.
4. As a result of all this combined I'd like a refund.
5. I look forward to hearing from you.

My opinion on complaining is that you can complain whilst still being amicable. It's all about tone. Keep the tone friendly and generally people are willing to try and help you. Go in like a bull in a China shop, it gets people's backs up.
I've not done anything yet as I've been manic in work.
I'll probably wait until Monday now and give B2B a chance to get back to me (assuming Grainfather get back to them)

I'm off work from Wednesday so will have a bit more time to chase things up if I've not heard back.

Latest posts

Back