Grainfather S40 - Mistake? Shall I return and get something else?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just spoken to Gareth on the phone.
For some reason the emails had started to go into my spam folder, which given as I only use that email for certain things, I don't check it often.

I've just had an email from Alison at Bevie to ask when I am available so hopefully they collect on Monday (with a realistic time slot option too)

Who collected yours @Ross1974 and did you get more than an 8-4 time slot from the courier?

I've just spoken to Gareth on the phone.
For some reason the emails had started to go into my spam folder, which given as I only use that email for certain things, I don't check it often.

I've just had an email from Alison at Bevie to ask when I am available so hopefully they collect on Monday (with a realistic time slot option too)

Who collected yours @Ross1974 and did you get more than an 8-4 time slot from the courier?
Just had my refund processed too, so Gareth is a man of his word.

The unit was collected by DPD, but was on an 8-4 collection. Luckily the Mrs is working at home, so its easy for us.

Hand delivered my S40 this morning to Bevie as it's close to where I go climbing.
Emailed Alison to tell her who I'd given it to, and then Gareth to say it's with them.
I arrived at climbing to an email from both of them saying my refund was processed. I just need to wait for it to go back onto my card - it's showing pending which is good.

It was a good service from B2B, shame they don't stock other brands (bar a cheap looking brewtherm 30ltr kettle)

Now to research a few more kettles. I've got a bit of time yet as I've got 40 bottles still in the fermenting fridge that I need to get through 😂

I have been using my S40 for about two years now and I will admit that I have made similar observation regarding diplayed and measured temperatures. However I have adapted my brewing to suit the foibles of the system and make some truely amazing beers using it. I rarely do not hit my expected gravities using it now because I fully understand the system pitfalls. It is just my opinion but for me a big part of the quality of the beer rides on the first 30 mins of mashing and I do that totally by manually manipulating the temperature of the mash. I think from mash wort gravity readings that the mashing process is vitually complete at the 30 minute mark and if you hang around and make sure the temperature remains constant or nearly so by manually maintaining the temperature during that period the rest of the process is simply the recirculation washing the sugars out of the grains to create a homogeneous wort prior to the sparge. I have done a great many brews now and the difference in wort gravity from 30 mins to 90 mins is nearly always in the region of 0.01 for beers with same expected gravity regardless of the mashing temperature. These systems are great but they all more or less suffer the same problems there is a very definite temperature gradient within the column and that cannot be overcome you just have to make the best of it. I try to make sure the recirculated wort is at the correct temperature for my proposed mash and switch the heating on and off accordingly while only using the 1000W heater setting for the first 30mins of the mash. Being a hands on brewer this method is all part of making a good drop of beer. Call me oldfashioned but I like being a part of the process😄
As to problems with the onboard pump and using to transfer the finished wort I have had no issues but again I use a different method. I empty the grain basket after the sparge and use it as a hop spider for hop cones and with hop pellets I have a mesh hop spider never had a problem transferring the wort to the FV. I have never had an issue getting a good boil but quite importantly my boiling point is at 99C because of altitude but I always boil for 90 mins anyway so I do not think this is an issue.
Another point I thought was not right was the lack of a hole in the lid for wort recirculation during the mash... I drilled a suitable sized hole in the lid so no problem and that helps the temperature stability during the critical first 30 mins of the mash.
Happy brewing cheers:

Latest posts

Back