DIY Wort Chiller - Best Place for Copper?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeavensBrew

Reaction score
In summary, where would you buy the copper tube for a DIY Wort Chiller and for about what cost?

Hi, I'm currently upping my game from extract brewing and have just completed my first part grain kit (Proper Job by Dark Rock). The taste of that has convinced me I need to make further steps.

Today's question (I will have far too many questions) is about the Wort Chiller. It's a straight forward DIY build and the main part is 10m of 10mm copper tube. However, it seems that just the tube costs about £40. Anybody have a better ideas for sourcing the tube?

I'm setting this up in Italy (not the best place to be the last few months) and I can buy a wort chiller from Amazon delivered for 51 euros vs over 40 for just the tube. There must be a cheaper way to obtain the tube.

In summary, where would you buy the copper tube from these days and for about what cost?

Unless you have a plumbers merchant or DIY store you might just have to get one ready made. When I made mine I got the pipe from Wickes...it cost £15.

That looks ok...I put short hose tails in mine fitted with hoze lock disconnects then made up two lengths with connects and tap fittings ling enough to reach from my cooker to the sink. The connects etc make it more manageable.

For comparison purposes a DIY chiller with 2 Hoselock fittings for hose connection, all parts from Screwfix.

Wednesbury Wednesbury Microbore Copper Pipe Coil 10mm x 10m 1@£22.00 each
Endex Copper End Feed Reducing Couplers 15 x 10mm 2 Pack 1@ £2.04 each
Pegler PX42 Brass Compression Adapting Male Coupler 15mm x ¾ 2@£4.30 each
Hozelock Threaded Outdoor Tap Connector. 2@£3.99 each

Total cost in UK from Screwfix £40.02
Thanks for the info. I checked Screwfix, but they have stopped all deliveries outside the UK due to Covid19. Pity, as that would have been a winning option.

Thanks for all the info. Kegthat.com confirmed that they deliver to Italy, plus by the end of the month they are also making cool box mash tuns, etc. Hopefully they will be able to assist with most of the kit I am looking for.

Latest posts

Back