do i need to clean full unused pet bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyspet

Reaction score
do i need to clean full unused pet bottles bought unopened with plain soda water in, i was thinking just emptying then filling with coopers ceveza as they are sealed and ready in factory so sanitizing as already been done, im pretty sure this is ok anyone done this, cheers andy.:cheers:

I've re-used 2ltr spring water bottles after using the water for my brew, just replaced the cap after emptying and refilled after 14 days with my fermented brew.
Done this with a few brews with no problems at all.

I use PET bottles that have contained anything fizzy (but usually cider as these tend to be brown) and always rinse with water, add sodium metabisulphite solution and leave until I am ready to fill them all.

The time it takes to transfer steriliser between bottles is not great vs total bottling time.

If you were emptying and filling immediately, it's not likely to be a problem, but the general view on the forum is that it is not worth taking the risk.

I use PET bottles that have contained anything fizzy (but usually cider as these tend to be brown) and always rinse with water, add sodium metabisulphite solution and leave until I am ready to fill them all.

The time it takes to transfer steriliser between bottles is not great vs total bottling time.

If you were emptying and filling immediately, it's not likely to be a problem, but the general view on the forum is that it is not worth taking the risk.
yes that what i was going to do empty and fill right away cause i thought surely they would be clean, but could rinse just in case cheers andy

as slid says why take the risk of throwing your brew away for the sake of steralising a few bottles

true just thought emptying and filling bottles straight away would be alright as bottles would be sanitized and clean already due to heath and safety in this country.

Latest posts

Back