Does anybody know any recipes for brewing and fortifying port?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikes1992

Reaction score
It's something I'd love to try making. Out of curiosity one day I tried adding brandy straight into pure pressed red grape juice juice and it tasted very similar to a port... Just not quite as refined and it was definitely missing characteristic flavours.

I read port is partially fermented grapes which has had alcohol added to stop it at a specific point to retain its sweetness. I just can't seem to find any information on how far you should let it ferment or the process of making it.

Does anybody have any experience making port? Maybe I should do a bit of trial/error? Can I just reduce the starting sugar and calculate it for say 7%... Then add sugar and brandy together (I assume you used brandy?) I guess that way though you would be loosing the natural sugar flavour of the grapes and only have the sweetness from the sugar? Unless you added back the grape juice instead of sugar syrup to return some of the natural flavours? I generally like to find methods that require the least work and time accuracy as I don't get much free time to sit measuring and watching my wines.

Latest posts

Back