Drilling a keg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

regaltabs

Not happy with change
Reaction score
Hi,

Has anyone on here ever drilled a tap hole into a 11gallon keg?

If so what was/is the best method, I have seen a step cutter used on utube and it looked ok but I have also read that a saw cutter is better.

Comments please.

I would say saw cutter and a running hose pipe cooling the teeth. Anything warm will work harden and never cut

Muddydisco said:
I would say saw cutter and a running hose pipe cooling the teeth. Anything warm will work harden and never cut

Cheers :cheers:

Am I right in thinking a 1/2 inch tap will need a 21mm hole?

i have a s/s stockpot to fit a ball valve to...

will i be able to cut it with a standard starret bimetal hole saw...? [on a slow speed]
if i keep it cold with running water....?

I would always go with Cobalt Bi-metal hole saws and plenty of coolant/lubricant.

You cannot beat a QMax Punch for making neat holes though . . . and no worries about work hardening the metal either

Cool I have just bought a cobalt bi metal saw and arbor. Bring on the weekend for a spot of hole cutting. I will have her in doors on the hose pipe to keep it nice and cool :D

Step cutters are for the steady- handed. A 21.5mm hole can become a 30mm crater in the blink of an eye. ;-)

Back