Dropping the temp

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy44

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just made another 10L batch of PA with maris otter, is it ok to let the wort cool down over night, as i dont have any way of cooling it at the moment.

Depends on how you intend to let it cool. I no chill overnight in a cube, others leave in the kettle or fermentation bucket, what process have you followed so far?

Yes it is I usually let mine cool a little before putting it in my plastic FV so as not to compromise the plastic. If using any plastic make sure it is HDPE which from memory means it is heat safe and will not leach any plastic/plastisiser from the unit as I said I usually let it cool to 80c before putting in the FV.
Some use cubes and sanitise them then add the boiled wort in and shake around to further sanitise things

I just put the lid on the kettle once the boil has finished and leave it alone til the next day, then transfer to a fermenter.

I just put the lid on the kettle once the boil has finished and leave it alone til the next day, then transfer to a fermenter.
Brill thanks thats what i did with the 1st batch, once transfered to fermenter it stopped fermenting after 36 hours so gave it a day or to before i barreled it. Drank the last of it last night and i must say its great tasting although very murky.

Yes it is I usually let mine cool a little before putting it in my plastic FV so as not to compromise the plastic. If using any plastic make sure it is HDPE which from memory means it is heat safe and will not leach any plastic/plastisiser from the unit as I said I usually let it cool to 80c before putting in the FV.
Some use cubes and sanitise them then add the boiled wort in and shake around to further sanitise things
Brill thanks for the info

A plastic drum usually squarish hence the name Cube. Just makesure it is HDPE grade. I would think if you watch youtube about cubing beer or no chill you will see one.
I have one and have for years but never used it for no chill I still prefer to let it settle in the AIO and cool to 80c or below then transfer to the FV for further cooling overnightish sometimes it is cool enough in the same day if brewed early and use a high temp yeast like Kveik

IMG_20220919_142717.jpg

i have three. I use the same one every time (superstitious!) Except once when I did a double brew day and used two. My one was second hand and has produced 30 ish great brews.

Last edited:
Is there any noticeable benefit to going no chill? I'd quite like to give it a go as an experiment but I'd be wary of somehow messing it up.

Is there any noticeable benefit to going no chill? I'd quite like to give it a go as an experiment but I'd be wary of somehow messing it up.
It’s really really easy, I dump my boiling wort straight into my fermentor (stainless steel) which in turn probably helps make sure it is well and truly sanitised, leave it over night pitch and I’m away.

I started doing it as I did not like using chillers and the water wastage, now I know that some brewers will say they save the first hot runnings for cleaning but that means having other buckets to fill and to be honest you still use more water to chill than can be saved. I also would have to do this outside for me as I brew in the garage and have no water /sink/or drain as SWMBO will not allow me to do it inside in case it leaks or blows a hose off.
Ps it also saves some time on brew day

It seems there are as many methods as there are brewers. Frankly, I don't see the point of transferring the wort to an intermediate container, though.
I tend to partially chill mine, especially if there's a hop steep. And then let it finish cooling overnight. Either way it stays in the copper and from there to the fermenter in the morning.

Yes indeed. I don't even use a fermenter anymore.
Boil, hop stand in kettle. Once that had finished hops out, lid on.
Next day, out to a couple of buckets & pitch. While I loosely rinse the trub out of kettle and then tip it all back in (splashy) after 15mins (rehydration time).
Run away.

Very chilled approach 🤣🤣

Yes indeed. I don't even use a fermenter anymore.
Very Passé @MashBag . I pour the cooled wort straight down the old gullet, swallow a couple of tabs of Boots brewers yeast, fix a blow off tube to the appropriate venting-point and wait for it to happen. :laugh8:

Might lie in the sun, for a bit of a diacetyl rest

Latest posts

Back