Dry Hopping

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm, That does sound like an interesting solution :hmm: I'll be interested to hear what the others think :)

When you dry hop you are adding hops to a liquid a low temperature, the point being you are not loosing any of the hop flavour to evaporation.
By using boiling water surely some of the hop aroma will be lost.

Also as the hops lay in the beer some of the more delicate flavours are released into the brew, although i'm yet to be convinced that they don't remain there.

My thoughts, although I stand to be corrected.

jb.

jonnybeer said:
When you dry hop you are adding hops to a liquid a low temperature, the point being you are not loosing any of the hop flavour to evaporation.
By using boiling water surely some of the hop aroma will be lost.

For my next trail of doing this I will soak the hops in boiled water cooled to room temp not sure on how long for yet.
I used boiling water to hopefully avoid getting an infection in the beer I would imagine there will be some loss in aroma/flavour but adding it after fermentation has finished it would replace and add aroma/flavour that would be lost during fermentaion.
I have just kegged a beer with the hops added and drew off two bottles without added hops for a taste comparison I'll post my findings in a couple of weeks if I can wait that long :grin: to taste it

I think I'm going to dry-hop my latest one but I doubt I'll be able to get one of those fantastic tea thingymegummies in time. (Do they fit through a cornie lid?)

I think some sterilised muslin and a couple of SS nuts will do the job.

jamesb said:

loads of people do this, just boil the muslin and the nuts for 15 minutes

I've never had or never heard off anyone picking up an infection from dry hopping, i say just go for it :D

Vossy1 said:

Tis true...glass marbles are meant to be as good and don't rust.

I've dry hopped in a Cornie a couple of times now.... Didn't use marbles or nuts..just stuffed a muslin bag tied with a knot directly into the cornie..no sterilising...no nowt...except a purge with co2 to attempt to get rid of most of the oxygen I may have included.

In theory hops introduced at this stage should just add flavour and aroma...but on the occasions I did it..I took them out after a couple of weeks because the beer started to get too bitter...maybe I imagined it but I don't think so..but if you weigh the buggers down with nuts...you'll struggle to get em out if you don't like what they're doing to your beer

On 'the other forum' someone mentioned dangling the weighed down hop bag into the beer by a thread of sanitised cotton - that way you can sandwich it in the corni lid and not suffer pressure loss.

I personally have had good results by just throwing them in the primary for 5 days once fermentation has subsided then racking the beer off 8)

mysterio said:
I use pellets in the stainless tea balls in the keg, I find this works really well. A few grams are all that is needed. I always get an unbearable grassiness from using whole hops, so I only dry hop with pellets now.
How long do you leave the pellets in for mysterio? I'm of the same opinion as you regards whole hops.

I've just ordered some tea balls for the job and do you reckon you can add the dry hops at any point to the keg say after conditioning for a few weeks...?

Crikey I didn't realise there was technique to it. I just empty 10g of hops into the top of the corny! Seems to work fine for me. I do like the aroma and flavour of dry hopped beer but it does get astringent after about 8 weeks in the keg...only one cure for that then! :cheers:

bloodoaf said:
but it does get astringent after about 8 weeks in the keg...only one cure for that then! :cheers:

Aye...That's the word I was looking for...it does indeed and your solution is better than mine...never thought of that ;)

delboy said:
I've never had or never heard off anyone picking up an infection from dry hopping, i say just go for it :D

Same here, I was thinking of just chucking them in, only problem I can see would be loose hops being drawn out the tap, but then you would be better to use the tea thingy.

What about dry hopping while fermenting???

Latest posts

Back