Dry yeast...best for...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint

Forum jester...🏅🏆
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all
With loads of new and returning brewers there is the age old subject of bottle sediment doing the rounds.
We've all gone through the same old regarding sediment, difficulty getting it to stick to the bottle,too much in the bottle and methods of controlling it with cold crashing and using a bottling bucket.
As a starting point a high flocculation yeast can help...what's your favourite?
Mine had to be Wilko gervin, notty.

If it's good attenuation, excellent flocculation and sheer versatility, I'm inclined to agree @Clint. Nottingham is a good all rounder I will always keep in stock. There are other much more flavoursome yeasts.

Of course you can always add a good floccer like Notty/Wilko to the later stages of a wort fermenting with another yeast - Windsor/S-33 followed by Notty/Wilko after 48 hours is a classic combination.

Or use liquid yeast like WLP002.

I've been playing around with pitching blends of different dried yeasts for a while now, and some of that with the aim of getting less flocculate strains to drop. When I was researching I came across the following: Clarification / Flocculation | Wyeast Laboratories

Wyeast state that "Co-flocculation can occur when a flocculent and a non-flocculent strain are used together. The combination of the two flocculation types can cause both strains to flocculate because the zymolectins of the flocculent strain bind to mannans of the non-flocculent strain. It is difficult to predict whether two strains will exhibit co-flocculation so it is always important to run small scale fermentation trials before using two strains together."

This has been pretty much exactly my experience - sometimes it worked, sometimes not so much. The one that really stands out is when I pitched co-pitched Lallemand ESB with S04. I had really wanted that beer to drop bright but it just wouldn't. After about 2 weeks I cold crashed; still hazy. So I fined with gelatine and it did the trick.

It worked really well with the Lallemand New England yeast and S04 -that made a great beer.

Highly recommend co-pitching though. Lots of fun to be had.

In terms of single strain dried yeasts that flocc well and stick, I don't care for Notty but I get good results with S04 - lots of folk give it a bad wrap but I quite like it.

Highly recommend co-pitching though. Lots of fun to be had.
... while it's not a dry yeast, I've been very impressed with the White Labs WLP060 American Ale Yeast Blend which lets hops shine really well and gives a touch of yeast character, but paints itself to the bottom of bottles ... just about the best of all worlds, IMHO ... apparently it's a blend of WLP001 Sierra Nevada/Chico, WLP051 Anchor Liberty Ale and WLP810 Anchor Steam lager yeasts (the latter presumably being the one that encourages the others to flocculate) ... if I was looking to use (solely) dry yeast, I'd definitely look into co-pitching US-05, one of the dry BRY-97 yeasts (e.g. Mangrove Jacks M44) and one of the dry California Lager yeasts (e.g. Mangrove Jacks M54) :?:

Cheers, PhilB

I thought S-04 flocculated well until I tried Coopers dried yeast. It packs really tight in the bottom of the bottle. Settled real fast in the fermenter too. Brewing this weekend and going to pitch with the Coopers slurry from the last batch.

I did a batch with US-05 and was disappointed in how it settled. It's nice and clean taste wise but getting a clean pour is difficult. Very easy to disturb in the bottle. Won't be using it again.

or maybe use a yeast and brew a style where cloudy is awesome - Mangrove jack M20 - I'm looking at you (even thought you did try to strangle me in bed the other night when I was fermenting a dunklewiezen)

I know I say it a lot, but I really love BRY-97 at the moment. I hadn’t used it until about 6 months ago but it’s great - you get the best of M44s flocculation with US05’s cleanness. My Wheaty APA is 40% wheat malt (was originally going to make an American wheat but I made an impromptu blonde ale with the hops I had planned so used the wheat malt in with my APA) and pretty clear after a week in the bottle

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
I've read other forumites have had problems with it's floccing but it's always been a very good floccer whenever use it
I like it, it makes good beer, but I find it takes a while to clear thoroughly enough that the yeast properly sticks to the bottom of the bottle.

I was chatting to the brewers at a local micro recently and they said that they almost exclusively use US-05. They were dismissive of S-04, for its flavour profile and hated Nottingham because of the mess it left on the bottom of the FV. I know its different priorities, but personally I like all three yeasts in the appropiate beer style.

I wonder my experience with calicommon is because after i no-chill I decant the wort off the break material into another FV then pitch. Doing this means the trub is mostly yeast

@MyQul I don't think my experience with Cali Common is that far from yours. It does clear quickly, but not thoroughly and stickily enough. It gets to like 95% clear fairly quickly, then takes weeks for the last 5% to clear and stick.

Back