Dry yeast...best for...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've read other forumites have had problems with it's floccing but it's always been a very good floccer whenever use it

I can’t recall having any issues with this. I’m going to be racking a fake lager tomorrow that is cold crashing now. I used the Cali common in that so ’ll see then I suppose.

Last edited:
Brouland sell it in the EU, Angel produced their brewing yeast from strains gathered around Europe, I suspect a large part of the hybrid is Nottingham. I used to use mainly SO4 in the dry yeast strains, now it's predominantly the CN-36.
As with other dry yeasts no aeration or oxygenation needed, but they do recommend re hydration.

The Ringwood strain is good at dropping bright and staying put. Excellent for anything English that needs some yeast character- my go to yeast. I’m planning on trying it in an APA at some stage

I was chatting to the brewers at a local micro recently and they said that they almost exclusively use US-05. They were dismissive of S-04, for its flavour profile and hated Nottingham because of the mess it left on the bottom of the FV. I know its different priorities, but personally I like all three yeasts in the appropiate beer style.
When I worked at a microbrewery (west yorkshire) we started using mainly S-04 but switched to using US-05 exclusivley. Could litrally save half an hour a day just on how long it took to clean the FV. I will add we mainly brewed pale hoppy beers so we liked the clean profile from the US-05

I've been playing around with pitching blends of different dried yeasts for a while now, and some of that with the aim of getting less flocculate strains to drop. When I was researching I came across the following: Clarification / Flocculation | Wyeast Laboratories

It worked really well with the Lallemand New England yeast and S04 -that made a great beer.

Highly recommend co-pitching though. Lots of fun to be had.

In terms of single strain dried yeasts that flocc well and stick, I don't care for Notty but I get good results with S04 - lots of folk give it a bad wrap but I quite like it.
Old post dig up time.

I've been blending dry yeasts for a couple of years. I had completely avoided S-04 for a long time until recently when i pitched it into a split batch of ordinary bitter, half with Lalbrew London and half with S-33. I'm pleased with the results and I like the touch of acid that S-04 provides, maybe as it is offset by the contributions made by the other yeasts. Similar OBs I've made with other yeasts like 1318 have been a tad too sweet for my liking, so maybe S-04 blended with these yeasts would work, for me. S-04 also does the floccing and the attenuating that S-33 and others don't do so well. I'll order S-04 again to try with other strains.

Latest posts

Back