Durden Park Whitbread London Porter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Easy Peasie

Regular.
Reaction score
Has anyone brewed the above.
Really into porter at the moment, the Durden Park recipe gives 28g of fuggles or golding per gallon, which would work out at approx 60IBU's. Is this a bit high or would you stick with it.
:wha:

That is the hopping rate that the brewer used when they brewed that beer on the date it was taken from the ledger. Why change it??

It is important to realise that the DP recipes are actual transcriptions of recipes in the brewery ledgers (in effect a brewing logbook) that details what went into each beer when it was brewed (plus what process parameters that were recorded) . . . So the beer may not be 'To style' but it will be Authentic ;)

Aleman
OK thanks for that, but I am really only using the Durden Park as a Base for my recipe I have not brewed a Porter before but would like to use the brown/black malt combination and was just wondering if the 60 IBU's would be more than a modern day Porter.

:thumb:

Well if its a modern day porter you are talking about you can brew it as you like and call it a porter . . . who cares about tradition and authenticity in this day and age?

In fact why not leave all the dark malts out brew a 100% pale malt beer and call it a Pale porter, or a light porter, it would be just as valid as these so called Black "IPA's"

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Well worth getting in touch with forum member Phil E P, this is his site. He helped set up the NH Brewers and between them they've probably done all the DP recipes. Phil may be a member of DPBC IIRC, but I can't quite remember :hmm: :thumb:

Easy Peasie said:
CAN YOU SEE THE GROUND FROM THAT HORSE YOU'RE SITTING ON!!!!!
If it's under 16 hands it's just not worth riding . . . . and yes it is an awfully long way to fall :thumb:
Easy Peasie said:
Do you brew a Porter to 60IBU's?
And higher :D, remember that a traditional porter would have been aged in huge vats before being casked and sent out to pubs. That aging would certainly tame the bitterness somewhat.

Looking at some 'modern' 'porters'

Batemans Salem Porter OG 48 IBU 36 (0.75)
Caledonian Porter OG 42 IBU 35 (0.83)
Fullers London Porter OG 53 IBU 33 (0.62)
Ringwood XXXX Porter OG 48 IBU 30 (0.62)

So in terms of a 'modern' 'porter' the Whitbread London Porter of 1850 (with a BU:GU ratio of 1.18) would be much more bitter . . . . but should be aged for 4-5 months before drinking. You could simply base your recipe on the DP recipe . . . perhaps scaling back the gravity from 60 to 50, and then dropping the BU:GU ratio to between 0.6 to 0.8 (IBU to between 30 to 40)

For 1 Gallon at 1.060

2 lb 4oz Pale Malt
7oz Brown Malt
1.5 oz Black Malt

1oz Fuggles or Goldings

( 1oz ~= 28g ;) )

Latest posts

Back