Early internet.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I remember the first time i got on the internet using a dial up modem pages took ages to load especially if they had pictures on them but it was brilliant, we have amazing speeds now but we will never have that buzz again, watch the presenter in the video.

How fast was dial-up in the 90s?

14.4 kilobytes per second

Dial-up Modems: 1993-2000s

In early 1993, the fastest available modem was capable of transferring data at a maximum speed of 14.4 kilobytes per second (kbps), equivalent to 864kb per minute, or 51.84Mb per hour.

Last edited:
I used to love that no one could phone you for days, i used to log on to exite when it was free and just leave it on, the good old days, i built a pc back in the day which was the envey of my work mates, it and a 700mhz amd processer and was for then very fast, i used to go to the computer fair on Trafford park for all my gear, all the fun has gone out of it now, i wouldn't have a clue how to do half the stuff i did then athumb..

I used to build my own gaming PC's many years ago but got fed up with the expense as the technology moved so fast it was difficult to keep up.
Dial up first person shooting was crazy

Those were the days 😆

I was spoilt somewhat as my first experiences of the Internet where at Uni on the JANET backbone. Used to use Gopher to download public domain stuff for my Amiga. But on leaving I had dial up at home like everyone else.

V.90 (or 91/2) modem was where it peaked 56kbps download if you had a good line from what I remember. Phone line permanently engaged while downloading a few MP3s from Napster 🤫

Then came ISDN, 64kbps or 128kbps if you bonded two channels. BT offered that to the home for a while before ADSL came about...

I got full fibre installed a week or so back, 750Mbps upload and download, could have had a Gigabit package but it seemed a bit excessive 😎

Kids these days will never understand the struggle.

I remember in the late 80s my amazement when I found out that my internal work email address could be used on the ARPANET, pre-curser to the internet, with the correct syntax! Did work for a US multi-national - I think the internal network was called STAR. Not a techie but going back to dial up BBS's and LISTSERV for email based discussion.

I remember the dial up bulletin boards. My first was a suitcase computer with dial up modem. The screen was about 8 or 10 inches and in the green on black print. No images. The first at business was about 1993 when Unix started going to personal computers. I remember being shown the world wide web at work. And being encouraged to use it since was the wave of the future.

Ah, man!
This brings up memories of doing my OU degree in the 80's using a 1200/300 dial up modem and sneaking into work early to use the Teletype to code up my work onto the mainframe! Pascal was a nightmare using a 300 baud TTY console.

Though a few years later we were one of the first to get 2 channel ISDN. My kids were frag kings on the early network games. Lag, what lag!

Remember when there were no search engines -

1679069966274.png

Then came ISDN, 64kbps or 128kbps if you bonded two channels. BT offered that to the home for a while before ADSL came about...

I used to install BT video conferencing systems that ran on those dedicated 64/128k ISDN lines. Now everyone has video calling in the back pocket anywhere in the world pretty much. Amazing really.

I used to install BT video conferencing systems that ran on those dedicated 64/128k ISDN lines. Now everyone has video calling in the back pocket anywhere in the world pretty much. Amazing really.

My first mobile phone it was huge heavy and didn't work very well due to a patchy signal but the buzz of owning it i will never forget.

1679074018878.png

Remember when there were no search engines -

1679084614278.png
Last year discarded a similar directory dated 1997 (took up too much space) - the only thing I remember from it was about a website with the catchy headline "How to blow up the WTC" .... could land you in jail these days....

Was a competition prize ... at work on how we could best use the WWW! For work purposes of course wink...

Last edited by a moderator:
I always remember the discs that used come with my dad's Sunday paper from Netscape, AOL.. can't remember the others. When I ever I see clients with email addresses from AOL i always mention this and I get a blank look🤷🏻

I had a dx33 386 that I built myself with a 10mb rll hard drive that was double spaced to give 20mb. It had its own interface card which was enormous, but the drive itself was the size of a house brick. All this was connected to the internet via a 2400 baud modem to access prestel.

I had a 56k dial up with Wannadoo if anybody can remember that company. I didn’t really see the net until 2002. Late to the party.

Couldn’t use the internet if you wanted to make a call.

Last edited:
Ah, the good old days of downloading MP3 albbums over dial-up only for your mum to pick up the phone to call her friend and you had to start the download again!

I remember saving winzip on a floppy as it took too long to re-download as I had to reinstall windows 95 as it had become too slow!

When I first saw the post heading I thought it was going to be the old internet joke.

After having dug to a depth of 10 feet last year, British scientists found traces of copper wire dating back 200 years and came to the conclusion that their ancestors already had a telephone network more than 150 years ago.

Not to be outdone by the Brit’s, in the weeks that followed, an American archaeologist dug to a depth of 20 feet, and shortly after, a story published in the New York Times: “American archaeologists, finding traces of 250-year-old copper wire, have concluded that their ancestors already had an advanced high-tech communications network 50 years earlier than the British”.

One week later, the state’s Dept of Minerals and Energy in Western Australia, reported the following:

“After digging as deep as 30 feet in Western Australia’s Pilbara region, Jack Lucknow, a self-taught archaeologist, reported that he found absolutely f**k all. Jack has therefore concluded that 250 years ago, Australia had already gone wireless.”

My first at work big happening was being able to use the Unix machine and C prompts and get to the weather map showing the radar.
And I remember the 5.25 inch (don't know the cms ) then 3.5 etc. And how the hard drive space is remarkable now.

My first mobile phone it was huge heavy and didn't work very well due to a patchy signal but the buzz of owning it i will never forget.

View attachment 83192

Mine was the BT Pearl;
BT Pearl 1G handset.jpg

It was analogue so was quickly cloned by some early tech criminals. I was sent one of the first digital phones with a sim card, the mighty Nokia 2110;
Nokia-2110.jpg

Battery lasted a week, it also had a new feature called SMS messaging although I didn't know anyone with another digital phone to send any, but I do remember people saying "What's the point in that, when you can just ring someone, it'll never get used".....

Latest posts

Back