Elderberry wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richard

Reaction score
Hi
I got my elderberry wine on today :D , this is how it went-

14lb Elderberries
5ltrs of red supermarket grape juice
4tsp nutrient
9lb sugar
all purpose red yeast

Mashed the berries, poured on 1 gallon of boiling water and let stew for 5 mins then strained into fermenting bin, lightly pressed the straining bag to get more juice, repeated with another gallon of boiling water, added grape juice, sugar, nutrient and another 1 gallon of cold water, mixed it all up and took a gravity reading, OG 1.085, pitched the yeast at 22 degrese and 5.5 gallons of wine on the go :D , i hope this one go`es well :pray: , if i have missed something please say, im starting to really enjoy this brewing, note to self,(get more demijons), must get some Ale on the go now as im running out of it.

Cheers

Rich

Interesting method, did you read that somewhere or make it up?

Moley said:
Interesting method, did you read that somewhere or make it up?

Yes i did read about this method in one of berrys books, i just adapted it a little to fit what i had to hand, the grape juice instead of concentrate, the quantity of berries.
You say intresting method, do`es that mean i should be worried about how its going to turn out :pray: ? How would have you done it? The colour of this extract at the moment is a very very dark red, almost black at a glance.

Cheers

Richard

Brewing all country wines

Blackberry wine
Blackberry, elderberry and cranberry wine
Apple wine
Elderberry wine

Apple juice wine

Woodfordes Werry best bitter

Recommend me something

richard said:
Yes i did read about this method in one of berrys books, i just adapted it a little to fit what i had to hand, the grape juice instead of concentrate, the quantity of berries.
Perfectly acceptable :thumb: I only ever regard recipes as a guideline.

richard said:
You say intresting method, does that mean i should be worried about how its going to turn out :pray: ? How would you have done it?
I would have mashed them in a bucket, poured on boiling water, added yeast and pectolase when cooled but left them for 3-4 days before straining. I would also expect any wine made from or containing elderberries to require a minimum of 12 months' maturation.

Your method should have extracted most of the juices in two fairly brief infusions, but you haven't got long-term contact of the must on the skins, so the colour might end up as ‘very dark purple’ as opposed to ‘almost black’ but yours will be lower in tannin, won't dry the tongue and coat the teeth while it's young and may be ready for drinking sooner.

I didn't say it was wrong, just interesting.

I'm hoping for a good crop of elderberries this year so I will be trying at least two batches, my way and your way.

[/quote]I would have mashed them in a bucket, poured on boiling water, added yeast and pectolase when cooled but left them for 3-4 days before straining.

Hi Moley
Thanks for the reply.
I did do it your way for the blackberry and the blackberry, elderberry and cranberry i have on the go, i thought if i did the elderberry the way i have this time i would end up with a wine that might be a little fruiter,could be a tad lighter and as you said, i may be able to drink it a little younger, i did make an elderberry a few years ago by steeping the berries for 3 days, i tried a bottle about 6 months after bottling and i would say it was no where near ready, i have not been tempted to try it again yet, maybe its time :hmm:

:cheers:

Richard

Hi all

I would just like to add to this post that i have recently racked this wine for the third time and its naff, its going down the drain. :(
I have also racked my blackberry/ elderberry & cranberry and have to say i am very very happy with the results :D , ive also done my blackberry and it is very good also, o, and the wife loves WOW.

Naff? What was wrong? Maybe it could have improved if you left it longer?
I have found sediment in the bottom of DJ's that I've lft for more than 6 months.

richard said:
I would just like to add to this post that i have recently racked this wine for the third time and its naff, its going down the drain. :(
STOP! :nono:

Elderberry needs a year.

Shut it away somewhere cool and dark and forget about it for a while longer.

When i say naff, i mean its a pretty good take on balsamic vinegar, do you still think i should keep this?
The smell was ok, it was the taste :sick:

Cheers

Rich

Latest posts

Back