Electric cars 2

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was a lad batteries were rubbish compared to today's versions then came long life batteries followed by rechargeable batteries, rechargable batteries last a lot longer than they used to when they first arrived in the shops so I see no reason why this trend will not continue over the next twenty years.

I have seen a video on the internet that shows a vehicle pulling into a service station and the battery pack is lowered from the under side and replaced with a fully charged pack this takes no longer than filling with fuel so maybe that's the way forward.

Maybe so, but why reinvent the wheel? There's nuthin' wrong with petrol and diesel and it ain't running out. This is how government gets their way, whatever their motives - invent a scare story to attach to something we've used for decades, even centuries. The hard of thinking fall for it straight away. The rest are too apathetic to care or slowly fall victim to the relentless drip-drip stream of junk they feed us daily until it happens without anyone realising it. I hope y'all sticking to government guidelines on alcohol consumption?

Just did a quick bit of reading on battery tech and it looks like lithium ion batteries have been getting better very quickly with there life going from 2-4 years in 2002 to 10+ 2016 and miles covered before it needs replacing going from below 60,000 to 1,000,000 and cost dropping from $800-1000 per kwh peak in 2013 to $145. but my idea is out for now as even the minimum size battery will still weigh over 80Kg any models 2-4 times that. From a cost point of view though comparing the 2016 nissan leaf to the smallest engine petrol micra charging at home optimistically saves 6p per mile so £600 per year for 10,000 miles plus £135 tax while the car cost is about £10,000 more for the leaf even after a £5000 subsidy.

Just did a quick bit of reading on battery tech and it looks like lithium ion batteries have been getting better very quickly with there life going from 2-4 years in 2002 to 10+ 2016 and miles covered before it needs replacing going from below 60,000 to 1,000,000 and cost dropping from $800-1000 per kwh peak in 2013 to $145. but my idea is out for now as even the minimum size battery will still weigh over 80Kg any models 2-4 times that. From a cost point of view though comparing the 2016 nissan leaf to the smallest engine petrol micra charging at home optimistically saves 6p per mile so �£600 per year for 10,000 miles plus �£135 tax while the car cost is about �£10,000 more for the leaf even after a �£5000 subsidy.
I'm going to get a Nissan Leaf and play a recording of my Ducati at full blast through the sound system. That should keep Gunge happy, on second thoughts it probably won't.

I'm going to get a Nissan Leaf and play a recording of my Ducati at full blast through the sound system. That should keep Gunge happy, on second thoughts it probably won't.

Don't like Ducatis, Leafs are a joke. Sound system? Hmm, I'm OK with that so long as it isn't a sodding Bose!

Maybe so, but why reinvent the wheel? There's nuthin' wrong with petrol and diesel and it ain't running out. This is how government gets their way, whatever their motives - invent a scare story to attach to something we've used for decades, even centuries. The hard of thinking fall for it straight away. The rest are too apathetic to care or slowly fall victim to the relentless drip-drip stream of junk they feed us daily until it happens without anyone realising it. I hope y'all sticking to government guidelines on alcohol consumption?

I think it's safe to say we have allowed pollution in all forms to go on far to long and if electric cars are a means to lower it I am all for them as long as they are affordable and not an inconvenience to use on a daily basis, at the moment for me they are out of my price range but I could use one on a daily basis without it being an inconvenience.

I don't stick to the guideline on how much I drink but that is my choice.

I don't stick to the guideline on how much I drink but that is my choice.

Fair enough. It is also my choice to use petrol and diesel, or it was. I'm on a hiding to nothing cos the die has been cast. But like I've said I'm glad the timing of it will coincide with my passing. I think electric cars are bloody ridiculous and don't even do a thing to reduce pollution (there's a lot more to it than what makes the motor work). Hope the kids of today enjoy their future transport, but they'll be left to look at pictures and stories from the golden era they just missed out on. I feel sad for them. Now where can I find that 15mpg, oil-guzzling H2?

Watched a programme where they put a small glider out from the back of the van and left to fly around to recharge battery to 2kw plus. Apparently higher they get the wind speeds pick up even on a calm day and charge by pulling the thether cable and then pull's it back at only a cost of 10% charge and it is due to get smaller. This might be useful remote charging in the highlands and for those in the countryside.

Bumper car style driving for motorways maybe, specific lanes for cars, then lorries with a pole sticking up touching an electric cage?

Er .... just a thought but won't letting rip with a ghetto-blaster shorten the distance you get out of your batteries? :whistle: :whistle:
Not a ghetto blaster, this is the state of the art green energy Bose.

2QA=

Bose.jpg

I forgot.... soon we'll all be able to get as p****d as we like before climbing into the car cos they'll be driverless. Great.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsuOfieIG0Q[/ame]

In 1896 a German engineer named Rudolph invented a heat engine cycle that was as thermally efficient as it is thermodynamically possible to achieve. In association with MAN he helped develop a prototype engine, which has been improved over the following century and a bit to close to it's theoretical maximum efficiency.

In the meantime other competing thermal cycles such as the steam cycle used for the majority of the world's electricity supply can barely achieve 50 - 75% of Rudolph's cycle's efficiency.

Oh and Rudolph's surname, and the name of his cycle, engine and fuel? Why it's 'Diesel'.

If its not broke, don't fix it.

my mazda cx-5 2.2d gets considerably more than 50mpg (see my avatar for proof :grin:) it's a euro 6 diesel and the best on the market for its size and emissions at the timer. However real life tests show it to be equivalent to a euro 4 diesel. It passed the tests by not cheating so the issue as I see it is with the test regime. How do I know it doesn't cheat? well there are a couple of clues.

It's design is different to other diesels. It revs up to 2000prm on certain cold start occasions to ensure it stays within emissions. (this is a tad embarrassing on occasion) It has a lower compression ration 14:1 than other diesels.

Here's the kicker, they haven't introduced it to the USA because they've said they can't get it to both comply with US regs AND retain the driving & performance Mazda's are known for.

Euro 6 is therefore easier to beat and Mazda haven't done a VW.

I don't take my car into built up areas but on the odd occasion I do because the mrs has our small petrol car the engine has stop start.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK5SQkEUBdo[/ame]

So how does this relate to electric cars? - Well you can only buy whats in front of you. The leaf doesn't work for us. The ignis SVHS is looking to be the greenest choice for us atm. Not exactly a ringing endorsement of electric at present. :doh:

My Mazda 6 is heavy on petrol (who cares?), but doesn't get used for long trips very often. My Picasso 2.0 diesel on the other hand is positively parsimonious. My motorbike does 40mpg tops. Maybe we should all be on those dreadful scooters that do 150mpg. A terrible prospect but still better than electric.

Latest posts

Back