Emergency! - hope some of you are around

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmychippy

Reaction score
Last Friday I half filled my keg with some Ritchie's simply lager (bottled rest). Instructions said store in warm for 5 days then move out to the cold to clear. I fell ill on Monday and have been pretty ill all week but now recovering. Actually went into hospital Weds night. Anyway to cut a long story short I was in no condition to move keg to the cold. When i went to move it early this morning quite a lot of beer was fizzing out of the side of the tap. I tightened the tap as hard as I could but still it is fizzing out.

Is this because it over-fermented in the warm and will it stop now I've put it in the cold (though still fizzing now)? What else can I do. This beer is for a party next Saturday, can I decant it into some spare bottles I've got if it only needs to be stored for a short period of time? Or is there no hope?

Please answer asap as beer is going to waste this very second :(

let some pressure out. if its a keg with an S30 valve just peel the rubber band back for a second or two with a knife.

If it's just fizzing and not regularly leaking, you might be alright! like matchles1 says it's probably too much pressure. how much sugar did you use?

failing that PET bottles (2L with 4tsp sugar) will work fine too and are very easy to come by. If you're at a party just pour it into a jug first. People enjoy beer when it comes in pitcher form!

Do you mean the black rubber band around the outside of the tap? That's where it's leaking from. Or shall I just unscrew the lid very briefly?

No Rob its most definitely leaking away - a few pints gone already I'd say, hence the emergency!

Your seal has gone then, that often happens with overtightening. It won't hold pressure, I would personally put this one in PETs and get your keg down the HBS. Most places will check it out and replace parts for the cost of the part :)

Is this a budget barrel? If so, dont panic. Lie the keg on its side so the tap is facing up. Unscrew the tap and lubricate the seal, the re-screw the tap in nice and snug.

Done this more time than I care to remember!

Yes jonewer thanks, will do that with the barrel, but what about the beer right now?!

Rob, do you mean I can just tap the beer from the keg now into PET bottles (I have some) without sugar (as the beer is already carbonated) and it will keep ok in them till the weekend?

Ok so realised I actually have not PET bottles left so have let some pressure out the top, boy was that keg pressurized, spent too long in the warm I guess when I was ill. Waiting to see if the leak has stopped :hmm:

Do it with the beer in it.

There should be enough space (specially if you've lost a few pints) to ensure that when you lie it on its side no beer will spill out. Just make sure it doesnt roll over!

Have a go with lying the barrel on its side with the tap up, you will be able to see if it will work or not.

jimmychippy said:
spent too long in the warm I guess

No... either too much priming sugar used, or beer wasn't finished fermenting when you kegged it.

All priming sugar should get fermented and once this has done, keeping it in the warm won't mean it get's fizzier and fizzier.

Latest posts

Back