Everyones next planned brew?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You may have got a wild yeast infection in it. Fruit like raspberries will often have a bloom of wild yeast on their surface which is not noticeable. I have wondered about how to get around this, maybe steeping in vodka before adding as just rinsing in water probably won't do it. Or use tinned raspberries as these will have been pasteurised during the canning process. Real shame though as it sounds like a lovely idea for a summer beer. I too use the GH book quite a lot even if it's just to give me ideas for the type of beer I want to brew next.

Wouldn't blanching the raspberries work. The quick dunk in boiling water should kill the wild yeast but not effect the raspberries too much

If i remember rightly then i tried pouring boiling water over them or part boiling them in a pan to try and sterilize them. I guess it didnt work, i have heard of using vodka maybe next time i will try that

Got a couple of mates coming round on the 21st to do the Honey Ale I've mentioned in another post, should be good :)

Jay

My next planned brew is for next sat. I've called it Peckham Smog. Its the Smoked Porter recipe from GH book with oats added to it. It's inspired my Beavertown's Smog Rocket

Cheers for the raspberry advice. The Raspberry wheat beer is my next planned brew.
I read in another HB book that having the abv above 5.5% helps kill off any nasties on the berries.

Was planning to boil the berries before addition but toying with the idea of a can of syrup or will this over power some of the subtle flavours?

Today, bottled my Wherry tweak...tastes quite bitter from the EKG but suspect that will mellow out to give a rich fruity beer.
Then straight into the FV, Coopers Stout with 550gms of brewing sugar, 500gms muscovado sugar, 30gms of EKG simmered for 15 minutes, remains of a tin of treacle and half a jar of malt extract and 2 shots of expresso coffee..
smells good so far!:)

I have a "Simply Yorkshire Bitter kit" lined up for my keg to try. I want to hop it as you would an AG wort to see what happens. It comes in a wobbly bag with the yeast stuck on the base so is a bit different to the cans. Not bad for £8.50 on offer from the HBS.

Doing my Mikkeller Milk Stout clone this weekend. Going to have a ton of Amarillo , cascade, centennial and Columbus left over so planning a brew after that for end of April . Got a recipe for an American Imperial IPA that apparently is similar to Pliny The Elder by Russian River Brewing Co.

Yesterday I made a Biere de garde from the Greg Hughes book. Next up will probably be something similar using the trub as the yeast was extortionate. I'm missing aromatic and biscuit malt but was thinking of substituting crystal and smoked malt. So that would be:

3Kg pale malt
1.5Kg vienna malt
500g cherry smoked malt
500g crystal malt
33g brewers gold
25g tettnang x 2

A leap in the dark.

Attending the Hop Forward IPA course at UBREW next Saturday (23rd) so that'll be my next brew.

Following that I managed to bag membership at UBREW last month starting from May so have a session booked in on Star Wars day:smile:. Temperature controlled fermentation and no more stinking out the flat, its a win for me and for the house mate:thumb:

Bottling my hobgoblin clone brew tomorrow and then hopefully trying my first biab on Sunday to produce a smaller 10 litre of an American blonde ale. Will be posting some questions regarding my blonde ale recipe later :)

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure what to do next. I have a few extract brews under my belt, a couple the same recipe, and one 'experiment'.

My next will be AG, but I can't decide whether to do the AG equivalent of what I have already made, to see the differences, or something completely different.

I'm thinking of a Coopers Stout with BE, Malt Extract and Tia Maria in it, no hops. I've no idea how much to use I guess I'll just wing it and see how it goes.

I've got a day off on Mon so the opportunity to do an AG brew whilst the family are out. Not sure what to make, probably something dark as my last 3 brews have been paler. Could do with using up some of my unopened hops: Bramling Cross, Northdown and Northern Brewer, as I can't quite remember why I bought them :wha:

There is an Old Ale recipe in GH's book and I will give this the nod on Saturday.

8.7% is beyond my idea of nice beer, so I used Brewmate to get a slightly lower ABV brew at 25L (maybe 6% or so):

Pale 4.5kg
Munich 1kg
Crystal 300g
Choc 150g

Cane sugar 500g

Cheap Bittering hop and whatever English hops to use up fag ends in the freezer, then Goldings for the rest. Recipe suggests 37 IBU from Bittering and 13 IBU from 10 min addition of ~ 75g.

Cream Ale - had pencilled in my own recipe using 'Wort' app, but now I've got GH's book. His Cream Ale recipe is very similar to my home-made recipe so that gives me encouragement that I wasn't a million miles away! :thumb: :drink:

Latest posts

Back