Everyones next planned brew?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeez got that off my chest!
For me its going to be a St Peters Kit..Im expecting a HOT HOT HOT Summer --live in hope I guess

Witbiers are on so I may look at doing some kind of ESB similar to a bishops finger style and I might harvest the sheperds neame yeast for it. Just need to hope I can find a shop which sells it my Tesco sells loads but I haven't bought beer for yonks

I'll be brewing a fathers day Ag batch for my dad Tuesday week. Really excited to be doing it, uses galaxy. El dorado and bravo which are the same as his initials with 50/50 spilt of munch and pale marris otter.

After that I probably have to wait until my birthday in June to do another, maybe Ag batch of orginal punk ipa based off brewdogs recipe.

Witbiers are on so I may look at doing some kind of ESB similar to a bishops finger style and I might harvest the sheperds neame yeast for it. Just need to hope I can find a shop which sells it my Tesco sells loads but I haven't bought beer for yonks

The SN will work lovely in an ESB I think. The ESB from GH's book is on my list to do after I cocked it up the last time I had a go

There is an Old Ale recipe in GH's book and I will give this the nod on Saturday.

8.7% is beyond my idea of nice beer, so I used Brewmate to get a slightly lower ABV brew at 25L (maybe 6% or so):

Pale 4.5kg
Munich 1kg
Crystal 300g
Choc 150g

Cane sugar 500g

Cheap Bittering hop and whatever English hops to use up fag ends in the freezer, then Goldings for the rest. Recipe suggests 37 IBU from Bittering and 13 IBU from 10 min addition of ~ 75g.

I'm going to do that beer too in a few brews time so it's had several months conditioning and is ready for winter. If my Shepard Neame yeast proves not to be infected (I'm pretty sure it isn't), I'm going to use that and call the beer Old English Sheep Dog :lol:

The SN will work lovely in an ESB I think. The ESB from GH's book is on my list to do after I cocked it up the last time I had a go

Yeah I had a look at that and was going to either do that or base it on that..

I do a lot of that, even if I do not copy the recipie I will look at his (and a few others around the net) to get some idea of a composition/ basis.. his looks pretty simple and with that yeast it sounds hopefully a winner..

(just need to get a bottle now and culture it up)

I have a "Simply Yorkshire Bitter kit" lined up for my keg to try. I want to hop it as you would an AG wort to see what happens. It comes in a wobbly bag with the yeast stuck on the base so is a bit different to the cans. Not bad for �£8.50 on offer from the HBS.

Pretty easy to do, just take 3L of the wort before you pitch the yeast. Bring to the boil and add your chosen hops at 15min/5min/0min, cool then add back to the main body of the wort (having strained out the hops).

Yeah I had a look at that and was going to either do that or base it on that..

I do a lot of that, even if I do not copy the recipie I will look at his (and a few others around the net) to get some idea of a composition/ basis.. his looks pretty simple and with that yeast it sounds hopefully a winner..

(just need to get a bottle now and culture it up)

I've learned loads about recipe construction from tweaking the the reciepe's in GH's book.

hehe. I thought you'd already cultured up the strain. I'm drinking a brown ale I made with it now. It's fantastic. Dried yeast are good if you just want a clean strain but if you want something more I'm finding liquid strains cant be beat

I've learned loads about recipe construction from tweaking the the reciepe's in GH's book.

hehe. I thought you'd already cultured up the strain. I'm drinking a brown ale I made with it now. It's fantastic. Dried yeast are good if you just want a clean strain but if you want something more I'm finding liquid strains cant be beat

I was nipping into tescum after work to get a few bits for swmbos birthday gathering tomorrow so was hoping to pick one up there..

I am definatley agreeing with you on the yeast front, and just like hops and what not there are so many different ones to try. The depth and character you can get out of one.. I understand using a clean yeast, I do it myself a lot too still but I think I will be saving jars from now on..

When you said you could get Shepheards yeast I actually got excited ( I know it is really sad), a lot of people don't give it a second thought and just dump in some muntons stuff.

I've got a list to have a crack at culturing up (see my sig). If you use your own wort they only cost the price of the beer plus about £1 rather than the 6-7 quid the yeast labs charge

Was it Butty bach you said does wye valley?? I am sure I can get my hands on that.. would be good on some Pale golden ales..

I am going to get strange looks looking for which bottles have the best sediment in

Was it Butty bach you said does wye valley?? I am sure I can get my hands on that.. would be good on some Pale golden ales..

I am going to get strange looks looking for which bottles have the best sediment in

Yes. I've seen it in M&S.
Some of the bottles I've cultured up from, I cant even see any yeast in there. I've just had to do the first 1 or 2 step ups on faith that there was was some yeast in there

Pretty easy to do, just take 3L of the wort before you pitch the yeast. Bring to the boil and add your chosen hops at 15min/5min/0min, cool then add back to the main body of the wort (having strained out the hops).

Thanks.
Hopefully have time this weekend.

Im only doing kits at present next two will be woodfordes sundew and a very cheap kilner bitter. Though i do have a boil kettle, mash ton, and hbc american pale ale kit i want to get done as soon as work and a few other bits that are keeping me busy sorted :-)

My next (and first ever) brew will be a take on the Elvis Juice V2.0 recipe in DIY Dog. Ive added it to Brewer's Friend and purchsed the ingredients but im unsure how and when to add the grapefruit/orange zest. Im thinking maybe 75g to boil @ 10mins and possibly ~40g in secondary with the dry hops?

Any suggestions as the recipe isnt clear on this? Aiming for batch size of 20L.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/348867/elvis-juice-v2-0

As my signature states, I'm planning to brew Young's American Oaked Rum Ale. It'll be my second brew having bottled my first yesterday.

I've read really good things about the rum ale, and I'm hoping it tastes like the Innis and Gunn's Rum Finish beer, which is superb.

Just done a Coopers Lightning Strikes batch. My next planned AG is a Blue Moon clone. Planning to get that on next weekend.

Had a trawl through DIY Dog recipes to find one that fits to use my hop stash. Moshi Moshi fits the bill, although won't be dry hopping with quite those amounts..

Grain
Extra pale 3kg (using golden promise and slightly more)
Munich 0.13kg
Crystal 150 0.19kg
Caramalt 0.88kg

Hops
(g)
Columbus 2.5 Start Bitter
Columbus 3.5 Middle Flavour
Centennial 6 Middle Flavour
Columbus 18.5 End Flavour
Centennial 18.5 End Flavour
Columbus 100 Dry
Hop Aroma