Evri.....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadhead

Female Brewer
Reaction score
Like many, I have been getting boxes and boxes delivered through the door lately. Got one yesterday though that Evri totally cocked up. They reprinted a label from the last time I bought brewing ingredients and so it looked like I was being delivered brewing ingredients. I was totally confused, why would I be getting brewing ingredients? But , even worse, imagine my surprise to find a pair of incredibly posh, Italian leather boots from a women's fashion shop on Bond Street. Definitely not my size or style - hahaha, I can only imagine if some you blokes got these delivered to you 😂🤣 These boots cost £460 which is a bit much for boots for me. And I imagine the person who bought them actually would like them. (And why would a company like that use Evri as a courier! Ugh). I am far too honest to keep them, so I sorted it all out. I could have sold them on like Vinted or something and bought something I would actually use and want. Like more brewing ingredients.🤣

I don't get the whole Evri thing including their customers. Ordered some Christmas cards on Amazon and they didn't come- a week overdue. Called the merchant and they said Royal Mail was unreliable and they'd resend using Evri. Five days later the original cards arrived. In the meantime had a call to verify address and notification that Evri would pick up and deliver the replacements. Called merchant to tell them to cancel the replacements. Today, a week later got a notification that Evri had picked up the order and would deliver some time after Christmas. What a pig's ear.

Like many, I have been getting boxes and boxes delivered through the door lately. Got one yesterday though that Evri totally cocked up. They reprinted a label from the last time I bought brewing ingredients and so it looked like I was being delivered brewing ingredients. I was totally confused, why would I be getting brewing ingredients? But , even worse, imagine my surprise to find a pair of incredibly posh, Italian leather boots from a women's fashion shop on Bond Street. Definitely not my size or style - hahaha, I can only imagine if some you blokes got these delivered to you 😂🤣 These boots cost £460 which is a bit much for boots for me. And I imagine the person who bought them actually would like them. (And why would a company like that use Evri as a courier! Ugh). I am far too honest to keep them, so I sorted it all out. I could have sold them on like Vinted or something and bought something I would actually use and want. Like more brewing ingredients.🤣
What size? I'm a UK size 8, european 42 if you want to do a deal.

Yeah, they're useless. They lost a recent order of mine, contacted the seller and they said they would resend it. A week later I get an email from Evri to say the new delivery would arrive Monday and to my utter disbelief that such a fine company would let me down again... it hasn't arrived.
The guy that normally delivers for them in my area looks like a veteran crack head and does his rounds in a 20 years old Mondeo. He's probably selling everything 😂

We must be the only area in the country that has an evri driver who's not only friendly but has always delivered our parcels on time and in good condition. We can't fault him at all or the service. Luck of the draw where we live I guess

Cheers Tom
Very much depends on who you get with Evri. We used to have a solid dependable guy, he finished and it was very unreliable for a while, then that person finished, and now we have a fairly decent guy again. The company are difficult to detail with when things go wrong.

DPD are a much better courier but more expensive.

I recently had a parcel that should have been next day delivery took 2 weeks with EVRI, and only delivered after seller chased them 3 times, appalling service.

I can’t fault the drivers, they run themselves all over the place in their own vans, doing a hard ‘gig economy’ job.
But the company is something else, and impossible to actually get in contact with

I live in the Scottish Highlands so shipping is so expensive. Sometimes (not always because they’re all usually £12+ unless it’s Amazon prime), if Evri is £6 and DPD £12, you go no brainer, even if you know what shape or may come in.
Still I’m grateful for DPD at £12, because sometimes shipping is £20! I can’t order from some of the recommended homebrew places for ingredients because I am not paying £20 for shipping…..

I had a look at their Trustpilot page and it's shocking. There are a lot of people saying packages have been opened and the items taken. Now that could easily be the warehouse guys as well. Never had an issue like that (or heard from friends) with DPD, Amazon, etc.

I had a text whilst out from Evri claiming they have left 6 bottles of wine on the stairwell of a block of flats which people use as a walk through, received a replacement a week later

I posted 5 sets of bottles through them on 28th November, one of which was 'next day'. 3 of them still haven't arrived, including the 'next day' item.

Had never had a problem with the few times I'd used them before now so I think it's a serious over-capacity issue at the moment. That being said, I don't think I'd trust them with my parcels again though.

Also in the North of Scotland, Moray. I received someone else's rug yesterday afternoon. It was just left at my door, no knock or anything. I took it round to the rightful owner myself. Useless outfit but this one is down to the driver because the address was clearly printed on the packaging.

I can’t fault the drivers, they run themselves all over the place in their own vans, doing a hard ‘gig economy’ job.
But the company is something else, and impossible to actually get in contact with

I live in the Scottish Highlands so shipping is so expensive. Sometimes (not always because they’re all usually £12+ unless it’s Amazon prime), if Evri is £6 and DPD £12, you go no brainer, even if you know what shape or may come in.
Still I’m grateful for DPD at £12, because sometimes shipping is £20! I can’t order from some of the recommended homebrew places for ingredients because I am not paying £20 for shipping…..
I pay £12. 95 for 30kg to France via DPD so I've no complaints. Companies like DHL are a complete rip-off in my opinion. Their service isn't bad, but not quite as good as DPD. As for Evri, aren't they Hermes rebranded?

I pay £12. 95 for 30kg to France via DPD so I've no complaints. Companies like DHL are a complete rip-off in my opinion. Their service isn't bad, but not quite as good as DPD. As for Evri, aren't they Hermes rebranded?
They are but I tend to pronounce it with a P.

For years Hermes (now Evri) had actually being pretty good, not the fastest but the local courier knew the area and two day delivery actually meant two day delivery but lately they have being awful. A couple of packages took two weeks to arrive. Worse we bought a box of padded envelope at work, and after taking two weeks to deliver the courier thought it would be a great idea to deliver to an office, in central Oxford on a Sunday in winter, and when realising their was no one in, rather than do the sensible thing and take them back for delivery during normal business hours decided to leave them by the front door on a public street.

They didn’t end up stolen however suffice it to say a box of envelopes left on a high street in the rain overnight is not much good.

I plan my orders of home brew materials to ensure that I should be in when delivery is made, I know if I order late Sunday packages will be shipped on Monday and in turn will show up Tuesday-Thursday when I am working from home, and no risk of being left in the rain. I now need to make sure whoever I buy from doesn’t use Evei as there is now no way to ensure I’m in to take delivery.

I have avoided Evri/Hermes for years after poor experiences and almost always been exceptionally happy with DPD as being a far better service, but they have had the odd issue like a MM order in two big boxes and they deliver the one but not the other, the one with all the hops /liquid yeast turned up three days later!

Recently I booked a collection and drop off for a small pump with DPD to be delivered to me, it was an expensive service at £25 they picked it up and a week later delivered it back to the same person and I had to rebook it with Evri and it eventually turned up.

I just sent another two packages with DPD and the drop off lockers wouldn't accept the barcodes, even after typing in by hand, drove 6 miles to another drop off shop and two days later the guaranteed next day delivery
parcels are not showing up on tracking, if it was £3 for an uninsured package it wouldn't be so bad but these were £6.50 each as virtually all the services thety were offering on the DPD site were drop off and pick up from local shops/lockers, but this was direct to door.

I always use parcel2go and have credit on my account with them but their website had crashed and I notice it's almost exclusively Evri services they offer now as all the other carriers are not on there, whether this is because the other companies are so busy at the moment that they have withdrawn their services or possibly be bought out by Evri I don't know, but the Postal workers situation is bound to have a lot to do with it.

Even Royal Mails guaranteed next day insured special delivery service is in chaos and I know people who have sent expensive items and had a lot of stress over lost/late parcels and some apparent thefts, weather they are using some temporary staff in depos or what the reason is I don't know, but there are going to be a few disappointed people this Christmas I fear.

Still I feel sorry for the workers on the various strikes trying to get an overdue pay rise or fighting drastic changes to their working conditions.

I seem to be the only person being positive about Evri here! I do prefer Royal Mail, but the strikes have made using their services totally unreliable for delivery on time, and this year is the first time I've used Evri for all my family presents. I think the age of a one size fits all parcel/post service has now gone, and we each need to consider picking a service depending on what we are sending. My personal view at the moment is:
  • Parcels that need priority delivery or to known house (rather than flat) addresses: Evri next day tracked
  • Parcels to flats or someone who might not be in at delivery: Royal Mail
  • Parcels of beer (cans) that don't officially have a value, and priority less critical: Evri standard tracked
  • Parcels of beer (bottles) for competitions: Royal Mail, tracked or priority.
  • Parcels out of UK: DPD

Latest posts

Back