Expected FG after lactose and fruit added

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stigman

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm in the process of making the Citra Raspberry smoothie ipa someone was talking about on here a few weeks ago. Any way I messed up with my volumes and overshot my OG. Started with 21L @1.082. That's with 500g lactose. Checked gravity after 4 days down to 1.030 and all ready tasting good, so added 2100g Raspberrys. How will the raspberries effect the expected FG. I mashed @65.5°and used 2packs of us-05.
Any help greatly appreciated

Interesting, i'm doing the same right now, started on Wednesday and adding the raspberries on Sunday although only doing a 12lt BiaB batch.
I'll be interested in any replies as this is a first for me using lactose and fruit.......:thumb:

Ah strollon I recognize your avatar now. Adam at baldys brewery recipe. I watched the video after reading your post and had to do this beer. Mines Gona be a lot stronger though hic!

Yeah Stigman, certainly too tempting not to give it a go.
My OG was 1.055 so no where near as high as yours, wonder why they are SO far apart, yours is certainly going to be a strong beer, i'm assuming mine will be about 5.5% which is perfect for me, unless the fruit confuses things of course.

That will be a combination of my messed up volumes, me being a **** head and upping the maris otter by 500g for a bit more oomph! Oh and i also upped the oats by 400g, because he said, when he does it again he would add more oats for a hit more body.

Lets hope they both turn out well, i'm looking forward to my 1st pint of pink beer......:lol:

Let me know your progress and i'll do the same.

I'm in the process of making the Citra Raspberry smoothie ipa someone was talking about on here a few weeks ago. Any way I messed up with my volumes and overshot my OG. Started with 21L @1.082. That's with 500g lactose. Checked gravity after 4 days down to 1.030 and all ready tasting good, so added 2100g Raspberrys. How will the raspberries effect the expected FG. I mashed @65.5°and used 2packs of us-05.
Any help greatly appreciated

I've a similar brew fermenting just now too. I changed it up a wee bit though.
2.5kg best red X
2.0 kg wheat
0.25 kg oats
Apollo, Citra and Lactose
Wort looked red even before the raspberries
AE762E5B-7920-481E-BF78-6880870D3362.jpg

I've added the rasps but have seen no airlock movement since. I'll take a reading in a week before dryhopping. I got 23ltr at 1.053 so might not be as hefty as your brew.

Will do pal. We should do a bottle swap as well. Might have to put mine in 330ml bottles. Though lol

Tempting, never done a swap before, depends how much hassle to post I suppose.

I've a similar brew fermenting just now too. I changed it up a wee bit though.

'2.5kg best red X'

What is 'best red' ?? Gives a great colour if that's before the raspberry addition.

Tempting, never done a swap before, depends how much hassle to post I suppose.

'2.5kg best red X'

What is 'best red' ?? Gives a great colour if that's before the raspberry addition.

It's a German base malt that can be used up to 100% of the grain bill. It was just a bit of an experiment to see what colour it produced. Not that it matters with this brew as the raspberries should take care of the colour. Definitely gonna be a red/pink beer. I'll post a pic here once it's in the glass.

Just too my first gravity reading after pitching 2 weeks ago and adding raspberries 1 week ago. Sitting at 1.017 with 1 week of dry hopping to go. Not sure if this will drop any more. I will check over the next week and samples taste amazing.
27359AF7-070B-44ED-82BF-006D20D2E29E.jpg

Just too my first gravity reading after pitching 2 weeks ago and adding raspberries 1 week ago. Sitting at 1.017 with 1 week of dry hopping to go. Not sure if this will drop any more. I will check over the next week and samples taste amazing.
27359AF7-070B-44ED-82BF-006D20D2E29E.jpg
How many raspberries did you use? As its taken on the colour from them where as mine didn't

How many raspberries did you use? As its taken on the colour from them where as mine didn't

I used 2.1kg of frozen raspberries. Some of the floaters have dulled in colour as the juices have leeched out. Hopefully I get a bit more over the next week. I did help it along a bit with type of malt I used (see post #8).

Back