Extra dark spray malt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnc86

Reaction score
Just bought a Kilo of this to go with a Coppers Stout kit. I was walking past the 'health shop' and bought it on a whim.

If its not the best stuff to use I will just take it back and swap it for another type of spray malt.

Anyone? Thanks.

I made a big mistake. I did not add it (the spray malt) untill the Fv was full up to the required amount and at the desired temprature of which to ptcih the yeast (around 22 degrees). I just hope it manages to disolve :( .

:pray:

I sitred it like mad and the wort was well ariated as I dropped the water from up high from another fv yhrough the tap.

I rehydrated the yeast this time too.

Hope it works :roll:

This is defo fermenting. It has a good few inches of froth on the top but it has stayed inside the FV unlike all the other ones Iv seen :hmm: . It is a little on the cooler side i suppose, I think about 18 degrees. I presume it will ferment out just the same but in its own time??

Would it be advisable to give it a good stir? Im worries the spray malt will be clumped together at the bottom of the fv as I added it at the wrong stage......

Cheers.

I've just finished brewing the same, a Coopers Stout but i used dark spray malt instead of extra dark. That was only because the they didnt have extra dark in the shop. It tasted great from the FV so its now in bottles conditioning. I fermented mine out with a heat belt on it, as my kitchen is around 18oC, and it took 6 days. When first head appears on the top of the wort (forgive my ignorance, not sure of the correct name for it) it pressed against the lid, but i didnt have any of the fun others have with erupting foam down the side of FVs. I used Muntons Gold yeast as recommended by muntons if you are using 1kg of spraymalt. I only followed manufacturers instructions as i'm still learning.

Rob

Back