False bottom for ss brewbucket

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pottsworth

Regular.
Reaction score
Has anyone found a way to create some sort of false bottom for the SS brewbucket.

Ideally something that would allow yeast to settle through it, but keep hop debris on top (if such a thing is possible), or just filters the clear beer like a kettle false bottom?

My LHBS only sells whole leaf hops so I’m thinking something fairly coarse would probably work, and I’m bored of having to weigh down 3 or 4 separate bags any time I brew something hoppy!

Has anyone found a way to create some sort of false bottom for the SS brewbucket.

Ideally something that would allow yeast to settle through it, but keep hop debris on top (if such a thing is possible), or just filters the clear beer like a kettle false bottom?

My LHBS only sells whole leaf hops so I’m thinking something fairly coarse would probably work, and I’m bored of having to weigh down 3 or 4 separate bags any time I brew something hoppy!
Sounds like a good idea. I’ll follow this with interest

When starting to make the switch to all grain I wanted to build a diy all in one boiler, so I researched the best ways to create a false bottom.
Some people use "splatter guards" (a fine mesh disk used for stopping oil from splattering out of frying pans). You snip the handle off and you can put some feet on it using stainless steel bolts, nuts and washers, to raise it above any ports, if needed.

I don't know the exact dimensions of your fermentation vessel but common diameters of splatter guards are 28cm and 33cm, although maybe you can find other sizes to suit your needs.

I would be very wary of using anything but stainless steel in case it rusts in you fermenter though.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233324021427

I've just checked and it looks like the ss brew bucket is 13.5 inches in diameter.
A more expensive option could be to use a false bottom made for a robobrew (linked), which is 12.5 inch diameter. You could rest it on a loop of silicone tubing to for a light seal around the bottom.

The cheapest way would be to improvise one from a SS pizza tray that has holes in it. I have a similar issue with my brewbucket but I mainly use pellets. I've made a ball filter for the end of the racking arm from a cheap tea-strainer. I'm bottling my first beer since trying it tomorrow, we'll see how it turns out. I've had horrendous issues with my bottline wand getting blocked previously...

The cheapest way would be to improvise one from a SS pizza tray that has holes in it. I have a similar issue with my brewbucket but I mainly use pellets. I've made a ball filter for the end of the racking arm from a cheap tea-strainer. I'm bottling my first beer since trying it tomorrow, we'll see how it turns out. I've had horrendous issues with my bottline wand getting blocked previously...

do you reckon the holes in one of those would be small enough to actually catch stuff?

do you reckon the holes in one of those would be small enough to actually catch stuff?
I would expect it to catch most of the leaf hops yes, but probably not the finer particles. But then neither would a false bottom.

And to report back on my tea strainer mod to the rack arm - it worked better than I ever expected! Last night I bottled 19l of beer that had a total of 225g pellet hops in it (half dry hop but I had a problem with my kettle and didn't filter out the boil hops either) and frankly I was expecting it to get blocked but it was the smoothest experience I've had a with a dry-hopped beer. Zero blockages in my wand and no visible particles in the bottles either.

I used this: http://tiny.cc/ai9ljz Literally just cut a hole in it and jammed it on. Best 1.31 I've spent in a while :)

Back