False bottom

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I have been having a few problems with my AG set up, the pipes kept getting clogged. So this is my solution, any thoughts, anyone tried using these?
Screenshot_20180615_214908.jpg
Screenshot_20180615_214845.jpg

looks like 1/2 a 'garth style' hop filter which is simply a mesh pocket or envelope feeding the kettle drain, some clever folk have sown SS mesh to create the filter, I bought 2 x £shop SS splatter guards pulled the handles off both and the rim off one and used the split beerline trick to securely clip the two together to form my mesh envelope. then some nice SS pipe fittings and SS m20 washers made a easy to fit to my drain hole assembly

12326000334_d1872b5acf.jpg

as is i suspect you may suffer from the thing lifting and letting all the worst trub through fingers crossed im wrong..

I use a bag in the mash tun...zero grain transfer and dead easy for cleaning.
Bazooka in the boiler....just let it settle before draining. I use a hop spider in the boiler and not bothered about break getting into the fv.

SS braid. Used one for the last 15 or so brews with the most effortless, fuss-free run offs imaginable, regardless of grist composition.

Cheers, I've ordered some bazookas which I will use under the sieve, belt and braces. Hoping to do a crafty fox soon but my fermentation cupboard is full! Got 23l of American IPA (kit), 23l of john bull IPA (kit) and 23l of TC! Ran out of beer, so I'm going to make sure I don't do that again...

I used something similar. had a tube going into it. works alright, you will likely get some bits through but not much and you can recirculate until clear. bazooka works fine on its own though. you can also make your own bazooka by cutting up the sieve and sewing it with a strand of wire.

Back