Favourite dried lager yeast?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oneflewover

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm turning my thoughts to brewing a few lagers over the cooler months. Possibly an Octoberfest or Vienna to start. I'm only contemplating using dried yeast (2 or 3 packs depending on OG). It'll be bottled, so looking for something that is flocculant and sticks like the proverbial to a blanket.

I've only really used MJ m76 and m84 of true lager yeasts. Used Cali common and kolsch, but not what I'm after. I'm looking for something that accentuates malt and is lovely, attenuates well and is clean. Any reçcomendations?

Can't really say favourite as I've not tried others, as I've always found S-23 does the job at low temperature.

I strongly suspect they all do the same job over a range of lager styles, and choice only becomes critical if you are deeply into mastering one particular style, focusing on water treatment, approximate mash method and selecting the best malt.

Last edited:
Was perhaps expecting recommendations for 34 / 70, but s-189 wasn't even on my radar. What's it like?

It's like W-34/70, but better. It is the Samiclaus strain, and technically the same as WLP885 Zurich Lager. Attenuates to about 81% on average. Performs even better at room temperature than in the cold IMHO.

I've only really used MJ m76 and m84 of true lager yeasts. Used Cali common and kolsch, but not what I'm after. I'm looking for something that accentuates malt and is lovely, attenuates well and is clean. Any reçcomendations?

You haven't got huge amounts of choice, given that eg Mangrove Jacks mostly just repack other people's yeast. Lager's not my thing but based on what I've seen on the forums :
34/70 is the easy choice - widely used, very forgiving, but not the best flocculator.
S-23 is a real love/hate strain, with probably a 2:1 ratio of hate:love, the people who love it really love it, but most don't. Probably derived from Urquell so best if you're going in the Czech-y direction. M84 Bohemian is probably repacked S-23.
S-189 is a bit of a cult thing, not widely used but most (not all) who use it seem to like it
Lallemand Diamond is not well known in the UK as for a long time it wasn't imported here, the only way to get it was eg via the Irish retailers. But it seems to be very popular on the German forums, it seems to flocc a bit better and attenuate a bit better than 34/70. Probably a derivative of Doemans 308, as is Wyeast 2308, and probably repacked as MJ M76 Bavarian.

And that's about your lot for dry, unless you count K-97 kolsch, M54 Californian, and part of Notty...

You haven't got huge amounts of choice, given that eg Mangrove Jacks mostly just repack other people's yeast. Lager's not my thing but based on what I've seen on the forums :
34/70 is the easy choice - widely used, very forgiving, but not the best flocculator.
S-23 is a real love/hate strain, with probably a 2:1 ratio of hate:love, the people who love it really love it, but most don't. Probably derived from Urquell so best if you're going in the Czech-y direction. M84 Bohemian is probably repacked S-23.
S-189 is a bit of a cult thing, not widely used but most (not all) who use it seem to like it
Lallemand Diamond is not well known in the UK as for a long time it wasn't imported here, the only way to get it was eg via the Irish retailers. But it seems to be very popular on the German forums, it seems to flocc a bit better and attenuate a bit better than 34/70. Probably a derivative of Doemans 308, as is Wyeast 2308, and probably repacked as MJ M76 Bavarian.

And that's about your lot for dry, unless you count K-97 kolsch, M54 Californian, and part of Notty...
Thanks, really appreciate your time and help 👍

I've used S-189 and found it really neutral, adding little if anything to the beer. I think that's why I like the W- 34/70 as it does give a little, with a slight sulphury twang. Interesting what NB says about MJ M84- I've used that and S-23 without noting any similarity. I liked M84 and, for some reason I can't remember, went off S-23 and stopped using it. I've got an old sachet in the fridge, I'll get it out and give it an airing.

Not an expert by any means... in my 2 lagers that I have brewed I have used M76 Bavarian Lager yeast and Saflager 34/70. I preferred the one brewed with M76, the malt bill was the same but I did use different hops so not sure if it's a fair comparison. In contrast to some others on here I found the 34/70 to flocculate well and clear in no time.

I've only used CML Hell. Produced an excellent pilsner and has a wide range of temperature tolerance - 12 to 18c. I did one at about 13 and another at 18, though the weather went and warmed up so it was more like 19.5 a few days into the ferment. Both tasted exactly the same. A good one for those of us who have to ferment at ambient temps.

Currently fermenting a Pilsner with m84 at 12.5C in fermentation fridge. Off on holiday soon, what temperature does anyone recommend to speed fermentation but not reduce quality to ensure it’s fermented, d-rest and starting to lager before I go away in 10 days time?
As it is I may just make it in time.

Just out of interest. How do dry yeasts compare to liquid. I thought lager is one area where liquid shines through?

Currently fermenting a Pilsner with m84 at 12.5C in fermentation fridge. Off on holiday soon, what temperature does anyone recommend to speed fermentation but not reduce quality to ensure it’s fermented, d-rest and starting to lager before I go away in 10 days time?
As it is I may just make it in time.

You can safely warm it up to around 17-18C at any time. Faster finish and still tasty.

Latest posts

Back