Favourite dried lager yeast?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last time i used Lallemand Diamond Lager Yeast which I thought seemed pretty good.

What are peoples views on this one?
It's not well known in the English-speaking world - it was almost impossible to get in the UK until quite recently, whilst being common in the Eurozone (including Ireland). AIUI on the German forums there's a mild preference for it over 34/70 for "straight" lagers.
I find the “German” ones are pretty much of a muchness - Diamond, S23 and 34/70
S-23 seems to be Czech rather than German, it seems to be part of the Urquell subgroup. Which also includes WLP940 Mexican Lager....

It's not well known in the English-speaking world - it was almost impossible to get in the UK until quite recently, whilst being common in the Eurozone (including Ireland). AIUI on the German forums there's a mild preference for it over 34/70 for "straight" lagers.

S-23 seems to be Czech rather than German, it seems to be part of the Urquell subgroup. Which also includes WLP940 Mexican Lager....
NB, what would you say the best fry yeast would be in your opinion for a viena lager brewed under pressure at 18c or via traditional means at low temps?

NB, what would you say the best fry yeast would be in your opinion for a viena lager brewed under pressure at 18c or via traditional means at low temps?
I'm the wrong person to ask as lager isn't really my thing - in general you can't really go too far wrong with 34/70 but I'd probably be tempted by Diamond or S-189 in this case.

I have experience of making a Vienna lager under pressure with Mangrove Jack's M84 and it was fantastic. It was at it's peak for my tastes at 4 weeks from brewday. I used finings though.

Not yet, I am still waiting for it at my local shop. If it takes too much longer I may order it online.

I only just seen it today when a David Heath vid popped up on my Youtube. Looks intriguing. Low diacetyl, works at higher temps and half the pitch rate of standard lager yeasts. Seems to me like one pack would even cover a cold ferment.

I have experience of making a Vienna lager under pressure with Mangrove Jack's M84 and it was fantastic. It was at it's peak for my tastes at 4 weeks from brewday. I used finings though.
I’m thinking of a Brooklyn lager clone. This will be my first larger and first time fermenting under pressure. Did you fervent at 15 psi for the whole time.

Also as I can control temps I may as well, is there an optimum temp for fermenting with that yeast under pressure?

I'm led to believe the sweet spot is 12psi, but anywhere between 10 and 15 is fine.

I'd put the pressure on as soon as the yeast is pitched, yes.

I do mine at 18c and creep up one degree per day, late on in fermentation. You can go higher though, but how much higher is another question. I've seen david heath ferment at 25c. I think that's too high personally.

I'd pitch two packs of yeast or do a starter too.

I'm led to believe the sweet spot is 12psi, but anywhere between 10 and 15 is fine.

I'd put the pressure on as soon as the yeast is pitched, yes.

I do mine at 18c and creep up one degree per day, late on in fermentation. You can go higher though, but how much higher is another question. I've seen david heath ferment at 25c. I think that's too high personally.

I'd pitch two packs of yeast or do a starter too.
Great, cheers for the tips

Latest posts

Back