Favourite dried lager yeast?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just out of interest. How do dry yeasts compare to liquid. I thought lager is one area where liquid shines through?

Great question. I have been experimenting with many liquid and dry yeasts. The quality of liquid yeasts still has the advantage; however, the Diamond and S-189 yeasts from Lallemand and Fermentis, respectively, come very very close and are very neutral, and I have recently selected Diamond as my main lager yeast when I don't have my favorite liquid yeasts on hand. I find Diamond is just a narrow hair cleaner and more traditional in flavor than the S-189, but both are great. Both I think are better than the W-34/70.

I've never really understood the liquid lager yeast being better, thing. When the dry strains with any hint of character are the ones that often divide opinion. Is it that they are somehow more expressively neutral? :laugh8:

34/70 is equivalent to Wyeast 2124 and WLP 830. They are all derived from the Weihenstephan 34/70,
I prefer the dry 34/70 over either of the liquid yeasts. I get a quicker start and a cleaner ferment with the dry. It's not just me either. I have brewers in my club who found the same to be true.
The S-23 is the VLB RH strain from Berlin. It also does a great job on standard lagers.
I use the Wyeast 2206 for heavy duty lagers and the Wyeast 2633 for Rauch and Fest beers.

I brewed loads of lager last year in my garden shed (little or no temp control) using Saflage 34/70.

Would highly recommend it

Im thinking about doing another lager soon.

Last time i used Lallemand Diamond Lager Yeast which I thought seemed pretty good.

What are peoples views on this one?

buddsy

Does it matter which type of lager? Which yeast would be best for a Vienna lager and which a Pilsner? Or doesn’t it mater?

Does it matter which type of lager? Which yeast would be best for a Vienna lager and which a Pilsner? Or doesn’t it mater?
I find the “German” ones are pretty much of a muchness - Diamond, S23 and 34/70 all bring something a little different to the party but I’ve had success with all of them in Pilsner, Helles and Vienna lagers. I’ve also used a couple of liquid “German” yeasts and neither were any better than those 3 dry yeasts.

What I did find though is that the Mexican Lager I did with WLP Mexican Lager turned out much better than the one I did with Diamond. It might have been psychological though.

Does anyone co-pitch different strains of dry lager yeast? Given that pitching rates often means two packets are required.

I find the “German” ones are pretty much of a muchness - Diamond, S23 and 34/70 all bring something a little different to the party but I’ve had success with all of them in Pilsner, Helles and Vienna lagers. I’ve also used a couple of liquid “German” yeasts and neither were any better than those 3 dry yeasts.

What I did find though is that the Mexican Lager I did with WLP Mexican Lager turned out much better than the one I did with Diamond. It might have been psychological though.
For Mexican lager I use MJ M54 and it comes out well. For most other lagers I use CML Hell.

I've only used CML Hell. Produced an excellent pilsner and has a wide range of temperature tolerance - 12 to 18c. I did one at about 13 and another at 18, though the weather went and warmed up so it was more like 19.5 a few days into the ferment. Both tasted exactly the same. A good one for those of us who have to ferment at ambient temps.
I like CML Hell, too. It really is a no-nonsense lager yeast.

How about pressure fermenting? Any yeasts better for this or again doesn’t it matter so much? I was going to wait until I had much colder ground water to try my first lager and was thinking liquid but now I might make it my next brew and do it under pressure. Thinking diamond @ 15 psi for a Brooklyn lager clone?

It's like W-34/70, but better. It is the Samiclaus strain, and technically the same as WLP885 Zurich Lager. Attenuates to about 81% on average. Performs even better at room temperature than in the cold IMHO.
as in ... Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg's samiclaus?

I love that beer, a 5 year old aged beer is my favorite - had 2 - 7 year old versions of it.

Does anyone co-pitch different strains of dry lager yeast? Given that pitching rates often means two packets are required.
I have not yet but that's a good idea. I have a half packet of diamond and s189. I will give it a shot next batch.

I've done it with W34/70 and S-189, but only because I needed two packs and only had one of each.
I'll be doing it in a Baltic Porter for the same reason, with 34/70 And M76. Although, I do it all the time with ales to for different attributes. I wondered if Lager strains are too closely matched, that people don't bother.

I'll be doing it in a Baltic Porter for the same reason, with 34/70 And M76. Although, I do it all the time with ales to for different attributes. I wondered if Lager strains are too closely matched, that people don't bother.
My thoughts exactly, for my Baltic Porter I need 1 pack which is why I was thinking of doing it.

Latest posts

Back