Fermenting under pressure

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrobinson

Reaction score
Hi,

I mistakenly put a batch of beer into a cornie too early, so it still tastes sweet.

Will the fermentation still take place under pressure ( ~10psi ) ? And if so, will the yeast be stressed causing off flavours?

I've left it in a warm place since I found out and I think it's getting less sweet, but I might be wrong - I haven't compared hydrometer readings.

I'd rather not transfer back in a a bucket if I don't need to.

What do you lot recon?

Hi,

I mistakenly put a batch of beer into a cornie too early, so it still tastes sweet.

Will the fermentation still take place under pressure ( ~10psi ) ? And if so, will the yeast be stressed causing off flavours?

I've left it in a warm place since I found out and I think it's getting less sweet, but I might be wrong - I haven't compared hydrometer readings.

I'd rather not transfer back in a a bucket if I don't need to.

What do you lot recon?

Hi mate,
Unfortunately pressure is bad for the little beasties, even in small amounts c02 pressure can damage the cell walls.
If the cell walls rupture then you could end up end with off flavours.
Obviously it depends on cell count as we use yeast under high pressure for secondary fermentation and bottle conditioned brews.
I believe that a high count, as in primary fermentation, would see off flavours but a lower count, as in secondary would be ok.
At least that's how I understand it, I'm happy to be corrected.

I'm not familiar with corny set ups but could you leave a tap or a plug open somewhere to vent excess pressure?

Thanks, after work I'll put it somewhere safe and attach the gas-in post after removing the regulator.

Latest posts

Back