Ferminator has Melted!!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GravityGuy

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Ferminator to use with my new tri conical fermenter. I purchased 2 additional extension units so that the tri conical could fit. I carried out a test taking the temp of 25l of water from 14c to 25c then back down to 10c. All went well, or so I thought. When I took the fermenter out, I noticed an area at the back that had melted and turned black. There were no other areas that were affected but the area that was affected had a melted hole approximately 3-4cm deep. I've attached some pictures for reference. What is most concerning is the fact that it looks charred and could have set on fire with who knows what consequences. What I find really odd though is that it only affected this one area and nowhere else. Nothing was touching the surface, and I've tried all angles with the fermenter but it does not touch at any point. Even if it did, I would expect that this should happen. Actually quite scary!

I'm not sure how popular this unit is, but has anyone else had any similar issues with theirs? I've emailed the company I purchased from so waiting to hear from them.

Attachments

• 20230423_143015.jpg
    20230423_143015.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230423_143648.jpg
    20230423_143648.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230423_143654.jpg
    20230423_143654.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 0
I saw them, poss last year. A mate found them. Tbh I thought they were a smidge expensive. Quite concerning if you don't know caused it?

I saw them, poss last year. A mate found them. Tbh I thought they were a smidge expensive. Quite concerning if you don't know caused it?
They are a little pricey but I think they really fill a gap as an integrated system. It is very concerning how its happened as there seems to be no possible explanation.

They are a little pricey but I think they really fill a gap as an integrated system. It is very concerning how its happened as there seems to be no possible explanation
Is it a pressure fermenter?
If so will this affect the integrity?
It isn't a fermenter but a fermentation chamber made from HD polystyrene.

An another happy crapland customer.

Edit - Its not made by Kegland. - Admin.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are a little pricey but I think they really fill a gap as an integrated system. It is very concerning how its happened as there seems to be no possible explanation

It isn't a fermenter but a fermentation chamber made from HD polystyrene.
Right I know what it is now
Thanks TB

Having watched the video i dont see how it can be heat related the unit is in its own compartment -

Any chance it was a production fault that you missed when building it? (Doubt it) alternatively maybe there was a flaw in the piece (cavity?) That reacted under the slight temperature increase

Any excuse for you to have a go at Kegland, even when someone has an issue with something that’s nothing to do with Kegland!

I was wondering what that was all about if you watch the video below it starts with him saying "obviously this will have cost Brewolution a lot of money to get it designed"

Any excuse for you to have a go at Kegland, even when someone has an issue with something that’s nothing to do with Kegland!
Sorry it's not entirely my fault that manufacturers naming their products similarly.
And the product description let me assume it's made for fermzillas.

It doesn't look burnt to me, although it's hard to tell from the photo. It looks like it has been attacked by a solvent. Have you been using any paints or glue or any organic liquid that could have got splashed in there? Even a permanent marker pen might do it.

Not sure I'd worry too much, shove some polystyrene in the hole and a bit of duct tape and brew on.
If it starts happening all over then your ferminator has the pox and return it to the doctor at Get er brewed.

An another happy crapland customer.

Edit - Its not made by Kegland. - Admin.
Well this is embarrassing for you....

Anyway I have a ferminator and have used for quite a number of brews with no issues whatseover

Not sure of the point of these compared to a larder fridge…
Nor me.
Under-counter larder fridge on Amazon from £140. Inkbird temperature controller £30. Ferminator £295.
The ferminator has no protective cladding, it's just polystyrene so it's going to start looking battered sooner or later. I'm dying to see what happens when the first person decides to paint one!

Edit:
Blimey. just been having a look at the accessories. Did you know you can BUY a strap to hold the whole thing together?
Wouldn't the home-brew wholesalers association be better commissioning one of the manufacturers to build or adapt a proper fridge for putting fermenters in. Or supplying a kit to convert a couple of low-priced models. A bit of ingenuity needed here. Ferminator must be making a fortune out of this junk. The entire shell is made out of what other white goods manufacturers use for throw-away packaging!!!
Talk about a racket!

Last edited:
Back