Ferminator has Melted!!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Provided you don't have a clear fermenter as you could get light strike.
Good point. Best use black light.

I think incandescent bulbs produce a negligible amount of UV, fluorescent bulbs produce more, but they're no good for heating since they don't get hot. Having said that, I bought a pack of four cheap and nasty bath towels off Amazon a while ago and I use one of these to wrap around my fermenters as a matter of course. They also help reduce sharp temperature fluctuations.

Last edited:
Good point. Best use black light.

I don't think incandescent bulbs produce a negligible amount of UV, incandescent [?] bulbs produce more, but they're no good for heating since they don't get hot. Having said that, I bought a pack of four cheap and nasty bath towels off Amazon a while ago and I use one of these to wrap around my fermenters as a matter of course. They also help reduce sharp temperature fluctuations.
Correct (but I think you've says incandescent when you mean something else - LED maybe?).

Light strike is caused by UV light (normally direct sunlight).
You won't get light strike from incandescent bulbs

Or " I don't think incandescent bulbs produce a significant amount of UV"

But you are both right and my incandescent light bulb sun tan fears are unfounded. Obviously the chicken cooked in a box with a light bulb doesn't go brown because of a lovely tan!

Thanks both. Don't know what I was on this morning, but I corrected the original post.

(I suspect the pernicious hand of Chinese autocorrect algorithms, which are designed to interfere with anything militating against Tsingtao becoming the only beer drunk by anyone, anywhere.)

Thanks both. Don't know what I was on this morning, but I corrected the original post.
It has all the hallmarks of "I wrote something, then went back and edited it a bit, then a bit again, then ended up leaving the wrong words in". I do that a lot 🤦‍♂️

Back