Filling mash tun and boiler

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaquiss2005

Reaction score
Have been using an old fermenting bin with kettle element for HLT and Coleman cool box for mash tun. Have now replaced with stainless steel. Have previously used a cheap pump but have to fill via the top of the equipment or rely on gravity. Sure I have seen examples of bottom filling equipment high can all be on one level which would suit me.

What do I need for this, so pipes are all on one level etc?

The kits you have seen may very well have been "all on one level" but somewhere along the line they will definitely have had a pump installed so this may remove your desire for "bottom filling".

I suggest that, before doing anything else, you:

o Draw what you currently have all on the same level.

o Work out exactly where you wish to move the liquids and solids.

o Draw in the pipework, valves and pumps that you will need.

o Check that you have the room to install everything you will need.

o Treble check that the system will work when installed.

Hope this helps. :thumb: :thumb:

PS

The reason I suggest that you "treble check" the drawing before doing or buying anything is that on many occasions in my working life I saw "as built" systems that didn't actually work.

On one occasion I stood alongside a Head Operator on a refinery as he explained to a Process Engineer exactly why the system installed to mix three Topped Crude tanks wouldn't work.

I glanced down at the sheaf of drawings in my hand and saw the same Process Engineer's signature on them in the "Passed For Construction" section.

Happy Days! :whistle: :whistle:

Yeah seen plenty of monumental cock ups on kit that didn't fit or even work...even been accused of being negative when I said that bit is never going to fit there...so you just say nowt and let them carry on....

Cheers

Clint

Back