Filtering?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

screamlead

Landlord.
Reaction score
Anyone do this?

I have 2 x 20 ltr batches i am trying to filter as both have lots of 'sediment' in suspension.
One is a wow with red grape juice and the other is a pure red both made from cartoned red grape juice etc but both are really cloudy and not clearing. So i thought i would have a go with my boots filter kit. Both are post ferment by about a month or so too.

The first one the wow i used a thin (coffee filter) type filter that came with it and the wine just wizzed through it which i was surprised at until i opened it up and found i had not put the filter in correctly and it had moved allowing the wine to run straight through. So i then dissolved 4 t spoons of pectolase in warm water and added that and gave it a good shake and now left it to settle out again hopefully some of the suspension will drop out.

The red i have used the thicker filter type and while it set off fairly quickly its now just dripping out the other end, i am presuming the filter is doing its job and is now clogged? Anyone else had this happen and what do you do - take it apart and rinse the filter out or just leave it for hours to finish its job.

:wha:

Back