First brew day - AG - something simple and hoppy

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pics! Off to bed now. Just checked wort - is at 25 C, sat in utility room.

288un80.jpg

15xv5md.jpg

21oxy7o.jpg

11bszg0.jpg

2w5j4eg.jpg

Just seeing those pics makes me realise how much liquid I lost to the boil...
Even being generous and saying I lost a litre to the hops... that's about 8L boiled off over 90 mins ??!! perhaps I boiled too hard? More or less rolling boil all the way.
Oh well, not gonna lose sleep over it now. I get a lesser quantity of stronger beer :cheers:

You can dilute up to your target volume.

The formula is:

Specific gravity/target gravity * volume = diluted volume

Diluted volume - actual volume = water to add to achieve target volume

Don't know your target gravity but currently your formula looks like:

X/48 * 16 = y
Y - 16 = how much water to add

It's fermenting like a good un this morning and smelling fantastic :thumb: . Ah, thanks for the tip Rich, yes that makes sense.

The corrected OG at the moment is 1049 - will check again soon. Lets say - just for now - that the target gravity is 1008.
The ABV calcluator on here says that will result in get 5.4% ABV.
To get 4% on the nose I'd need an OG of 1038.

Using your formula then: 49/38 * 16 = 20.6 Litres

So I need to add 4.6 litres of water... I take it this should be boiled and cooled. Do I stir with a sterilised spoon?

All this assumes the final gravity will be 1008. This is what it says "High attenuation, reaching a final gravity near 1008". What are the reasons it would not approach this?

By the way, how often should I be checking gravity? What I'm worried about is jabbing around in there frequently with trial jar, hydrometer etc incresasing the risk of infection.

Cheers - Olly

Good - it's still taking a chance that you might introduce an infection, but if the yeast population is healthy (and the kettle water wasn't too hot!) you will hopefully be ok :thumb:

Just ran a little sample out of the tap and it's fermented out to 1012 in 48 hours.
The sample was a bit cloudy because the tap is near the bottom obviously, but the colour is a lovely tawny pale gold and the taste is very promising - refreshing and beery (this is good - its my first ever brew remember) with a dry, hoppy finish. Its early days but very promising! Yay! :thumb: :cheers:

Going to leave it for now - no opportunity to rack it until Sunday anyway, which will give it chance to ferment out any further and clear out a bit. Then bottle or keg - probably the former.

yay! glad yours is going well, i also drank an AG1/48 hour sample tonight and was really pleased!

when i finally get to move out of london and back to lincolnshire we can be brewing rivals! :cheers:

It aint half hot mum! My FV is sat in the utility room which has a south facing window and has been getting quite stuffy - up to high twenties probably approaching 30 yesterday... nowt I can do about it now but curious to know whether it could have caused any problems with the beer? Will taste again on weekend. Cheers

drape a wet towel over the FV - the evaporation will help cool it - If you can, stand the FV in a basin or bucket so you can fill that with water too, and that will be drain up the towel and keep the evaporation going longer.

I find standing the FV in a bucket of water with camping ice packs chucked in it does the job when a brew is getting a little warm, just rotate the packs back to the freezer as required to keep it cool. But... with a tap on the bottom of the FV it would be more difficult.

Hopefully, since the bulk of the attenuation has happened before this heatwave, it'll be OK.

Hello! It's been 7 days in the FV and today I had another two tastes.
First - drawn slowly through the tap. Still cloudy. Gravity 1012. Tasted a bit yeasty.
Second - scooped from the top with a sterile spoon. Clear. Gravity 1008. Tasted good.

1st
fjn49h.jpg

2nd
2iqd3iq.jpg

So, a couple of questions:

a) The target gravity (according to the yeast packet, didn't really have a recipe) is 1008. Should I bottle yet or leave in the FV for another week?
b) If I do bottle, do I leave the bottom few inches and simply try to siphon from a few inches above the trub?

I suspect the answer is th leave it a bit longer for the trub to compact?
Cheers :cheers:

Latest posts

Back