First Brew story so far...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woosiep

Reaction score
I am currently 5 days into my first fermentation - a St Peters IPA kit. This is my story so far. Mostly good with a couple of glaring errors;

I did my research! Forums such as this and the Wheeler book meant I knew what equipment I needed (more than I thought natch) but took my time assembling it before starting. The world of internet ordering of course helps.

Did all the sterilization stuff with the required paranoia I think. Did the "Wherry tweak" on the St Peters - I know it seems like running before walking but seemed so sensible and straightforward - so boiled the empty kit can washes with half Citra and half Challenger hops (good job I like it hoppy) and brewed it to about 17.5L (Kit is a 19L)
used Tesco Ashbeck water - 5l for a quid

Mistake number one - didnt use my hydrometer to get an OG reading in my excitement
Mistake number two - pitched the yeast a bit hot - 27-28 degrees but I think I got away with it...

...and the wort/hops mix was well aerated and I got it in a 19 degree room.
Next morning...WOW a magnificent Krausen really squirty cream like. Fermentation seems to be going well. I have an airlock that hasn't bubbled once but the FV is constantly swelled with what I hope is Co2.

So today I read the gravity and it is 1020 - a bit to go but progressing well.The taste however was amazing - it was beer! Not yeasty homebrew of yore, actual nice beer so I am doubly excited.

Next steps and advice needed...going to leave it until probably day 10 and then transfer to a second fermenter with the addition of a few more dry hops (in a boiled muslin bag weighed down with a steralised shot glass) then leave that another 5 days or so

Q - Do I need to "steralise" the hops - perhaps just leave in boiling water for a couple of mins before adding?

Then after 2 weeks and if SG is ok will bottle. Have a little bottler and carbonation drops and plenty of brown 500ml bottles clean but not yet steralized.

Any other advice welcome and I will report back at bottling and drinking

This appears to be a fantastic hobby - I plan a couple more 2 can kits and then on to extract so boiler is being saved up for.

woosiep said:
Q - Do I need to "steralise" the hops - perhaps just leave in boiling water for a couple of mins before adding?
Then after 2 weeks and if SG is ok will bottle. Have a little bottler and carbonation drops and plenty of brown 500ml bottles clean but not yet steralized.

No. They are naturally good in that respect. Many people boil just the bag first though. I've taken to not using a bag and just chuck them in. The bag is just another possible source of infection.

Get an antibacterial hand cleanser. StarSan is the best sanitiser for bottles, FV and everything else.. I've heard mixed reports about the drops, white sugar however works every time.
Good luck :D

woosiep said:

Hi,its ok to just tip the hops in,no sterilization needed.Don't stir let them sink or float on the surface as they'll break down after a few days.

When I first started I was pitching yeast at 30c+ :shock: and I still got away with,well I think i did :D

Thanks for the prompt replies - looks like I wont bother with the drops especially as Im using a second FV - I think it was that american bloke on You Tube who used them on his St Peters Ruby Ale - (3 per litre bottle) and his beer looked fantastic

Latest posts

Back