First Lager

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bernaaard

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

OK. So I gave into temptation last night. I cracked the lid on my FV to check on my first lager that I set off on Sat night.

There is still and almighty Krausen on it and I was wondering if this is normal/a good thing?

I pitched at about 23 degrees and it has been sat at around 12 degrees since then.

A krausen after 5 days? I'd say that's definitely normal, I've had some last for weeks. You've got to remember lagers ferment slower than ales because of the lower temperature so you need to be a little more patient than with an ale.

If memory serves it said pitch at between 22-24 degrees and ferment at 18-20. Now, the place I ferment is about 12 degrees and it has an almighty Krausen after less than a week.

Was going to give it another 2. Then bring the temp up to about 18-20 for a few days. Then decant to another vessel for a week to clear. Then bottle.

Was going to give it another week or two to carbonate in the bottles and then retire it to the cold garage for a month or two.

Latest posts

Back