first time kegging.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andynewbrew

Reaction score
Hi guys, just kegged for the first time 2 days ago an old speckled hen clone. The thing is im going to be away from home for a week next week and wondering what i should do with the beer once its been carbonated (been on gas at 13psi for 2 days so far) so by sunday - monday it should (hopefully) be carbonated. do i leave it on the gas for a week while im away or take it off the gas and leave it disconnected until im back? any help would be appreciated. Thank

Andy

Any reason why you carbonated usin gas as supposed to a secondary fermentation? Just asking out of interest.

how is the keg stored? if in a temp controlled box/fridge, it may be easiest to refer to a kegging chart for the optimum serving pressure temp combo to set so you can just leave them as is, Articles and web info suggests that the keg should normalise at optimum condition after a week, I cant qualify that as my kegs are exposed to ambient temps.

iirc there is a kegging chart stickied over on Jims using centigrade instead of farenheight temps as most of these charts seem to have american origins, consiquently i think they suggest higher condition levels than perhaps we enjoy over here.

IF your using corny kegs, its safer to leave on gas as there is a slight risk of loosing the lid seal IF the pressure drops through total absorption, especially if in a shed and a sharp frost ocours. sankey kegs and polykegs however dont have lids so its not relevant.

Pressure conditioning in a keg is quicker and creates no additional sediment, as the kegs that can take the pressure needed to pressure condition all use spears or dip tubes to drain from the very bottom, It can mean the difference between 1/2 a dirty first pint or 2 dirty first pints..

Any reason why you carbonated usin gas as supposed to a secondary fermentation? Just asking out of interest.

Im using co2 in a corny keg just because i have 2 pub taps installed in my house so that i can pour a drink when i fancy one :cheers:

how is the keg stored? if in a temp controlled box/fridge, it may be easiest to refer to a kegging chart for the optimum serving pressure temp combo to set so you can just leave them as is, Articles and web info suggests that the keg should normalise at optimum condition after a week, I cant qualify that as my kegs are exposed to ambient temps.

iirc there is a kegging chart stickied over on Jims using centigrade instead of farenheight temps as most of these charts seem to have american origins, consiquently i think they suggest higher condition levels than perhaps we enjoy over here.

IF your using corny kegs, its safer to leave on gas as there is a slight risk of loosing the lid seal IF the pressure drops through total absorption, especially if in a shed and a sharp frost ocours. sankey kegs and polykegs however dont have lids so its not relevant.

Pressure conditioning in a keg is quicker and creates no additional sediment, as the kegs that can take the pressure needed to pressure condition all use spears or dip tubes to drain from the very bottom, It can mean the difference between 1/2 a dirty first pint or 2 dirty first pints..

I have my corny kegs in a fridge at 5c with 12psi of co2, just wanted to know if i should leave them on the co2 while im away, thanks

i thought 2.3 volumes of co2 for an EPA would be fine but please correct me on this im still a newbie lol.

Its all a matter of taste and preference, the beauty of a temp controlled kegging system is if too highly conditioned you can loose some with a few shake n vents, and dropping the pressure to avoid building back up, or if not enough just whacking up the ressure a tad.. ;)

So you decide ;)

imho the recomended vols of co2 in the charts are a bit high for me and i tend to aim to condition to a slightly lower level, but thats just my preference..

Latest posts

Back