First WOW and First Rhubarb and First Peach

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glyder

Reaction score
Hi all...

Busy evening here.
Just put on a gallon of WOW as per 'How to' except using black tea for tannin.
Also a gallon of Rhubarb thats been sat juicing for 2 days in a bucket.
And an experimental Super Peach, made from 2 cans and 1.2kg of sugar
peaches were 35g sugar per can ( i used 2 ) and I ended up with a 4.5l adjusted OG of 1.106. hoping fo about 14% I think.

Anyway after bottling 38 pints of Forester Ales Golden Citrus Blast on Monday night along with 5 bottles of Polish Cherry wine and 6 Bottles of Polish Raspberry Wine.......I blooming knackered, but satisfied

Time for a beer then.

:nono:
After I clean the kitchen SWMBO says!

I put a gallon of WOW on for the 1st time Monday. Very glad that left a decent amount of space as it gone off like a rocket and the churning lava lamp like effect is quite mesmerising.

Just picked about 30 kilos of plums tonight. Thank god my kitchen doesn't have a woman :D

Nah shes not a nag...just gently persuasive :lol:

And she probably has a point..After posting on here I came across a review for Alco Coke.......so went back in the kitchen and started a batch!

Half one in the morning, sticky pans and stealing from the kitchen sugar to top up my brewing sugar!

Bless her for putting up with me :clap:

Oh and I bought another kit today..bit of a blast from my brewing past Geordie Bitter...see if it as awful as I remember. :cheers:

Hiya,will be interested in how the peach turns out.wouldnt mind a demi full of that
well prefer it ready to drink,did you make it as a wow? fancy another go while the first 3 are busy doing their thing
Ian

Hi Ian.
With regards to the Peach i made it pretty much as a WOW.
I used 2 cans of Morrsions savers peaches in syrup. calculated at 35g of sugar per can. Chucked the whole contents in a blender and blitzed them to death. added the whole contents to a dj.
then added 1.28kg of brewing sugar.
added 1tsp yeast nutrient
1tsp pectolase
water to 4l
pitched wine yeast at about 22c.

OG was 1.120 @4l = 1.106 @4.5l

within 18 hours it was trying to escape through the airlock!

took about 5 days to settle to a steady enough ferment to top up to the neck.

started this one on the evening of the 29/8 by 11/9 it was down to 1.010 and still fermenting strong.

its now down to 0.995 and still slowly fermenting.

will probably let it ferment as far as it will go, then back sweeten with peach syrup .

Regards
Ben

hiya Ben,it sounds spot on my first 3 are pottering along been down a week but it is a bit colder up here at the mo,so that has slowed them down a bit,
really tempted by the peach,but i will hang back to see how my first 3 turn out,need to check mine but cant find a turkey baster any where around here a trip to the metro ctr looks to be on its way
i look forward to hearing the results of your taste test as much as my own testing,well wore lass is the guinee pig for mine,she is the wine drinker :thumb:
thanks for the info Ben apreciate it,
IAN

Peach Update

Checked the hydrometer twice this week on wednesday and saturday its finally stabilised at 0.978, so I racked to a second Dj with 1 tsp of Potasium sorbate and 1 Campden tablet. Degassed and put into by storage shed under a safety bung.

Taste is very alcoholic..not surprising as my calculations put it at nearly 17%?? :eek:
Colour is a pale straw colour.
As this was my first wine experiment I let it ferment all the way out on the pulp. had no problems with sediment as the liquidised peachs are about one third the size of a grain of rice. Just needed a steady hand on the siphon. There was minimal fine lees or yeast sediment.

Hope this may be of some use

Ben

Hiya,does it have a strong peach flavour or just a nice hint.i like my peach flavour :) .i need to get the hydrometer on mine me thinks.

Ian

Hi Ian
I would say it will be a fairly strong peach flavour. Obviously it is still very young and the alcohol is pretty overpowering, but the initial smell was pretty promising and flavour was in there somewhere :lol:
Been in the shed for about a week now and its thrown a small sediment. Will probably leave another couple of weeks and then re rack.

Ben

hiya,can you remember what sise cans you used for the peach,just been to asda and they only had small cans of peaches in,
just got me some blood orange and pomegranite,and some red grape juice to try.and a ltr of pomegranite to go with the wgj,should be interesting.

Ian

Hi Ian.
The cans are standard 410g morrsions savers Peaches.
They contain 8.6g of potential sugars per 100g of product so that comes to 35.26g per can.

Ingredients were Peaches, water, sugar and Citric acid. I used 2 cans to a gallon with all of the syrup thrown in etc. whizzed em up in the blender and fired the whole lot in a DJ with 1.28kg of brewing sugar......Yummy!

Let me know how the orange and pomegranite goes?

Ive recently set off a gallon of Orange and passion fruit and a gallon of Orange and Mango, not ramped up the sugar this time though. Aiming for 12% instead.

Ben

Hiya Ben,thanks for the info,will be back at asda on thurs morn,get stocked up for a sat morn brew time,at least i know where all the gear is now,they keep bliddy moveing stuff around up there,
really got a fancy for the blood orange and pomegranite,with red grape juice,will be a couple on the go on sat,could do with a bit more space now,getting addictive.
catch you later...

Ian

I did a rhubarb ( 33 bottles ) this summer. 3 litres of red grape in the 5 gallons. Fermented it out to 15.75% with it turning out a lovely rosé colour! I could have orders for gallons of this stuff, IF I was prepared to sell it. ( No chance!!!!!!!!!!!!! )
Tastes too good! :cheers:

Well i got back to Asda this morn,3 tin's of the peach's now in my possesion,will get that peach wow on the go as soon as i get some time and space.
have to re rack my first 3 wow's this week they are looking good,need to back sweeten a wee bit,then see how long it last's when the wife and daughter get their hand's on it.
Thanks for all the info Glyder.
Ian

HI,these Asda peach's are showing 14.00 g per 100g,that works out a t36g per tin going to put the 3 tins in and a wee bit less sugar,as per Moley's wow recipe,brewing tonight i hope.

Ian

Are you not adding any grape juice to these tinned peach brews? On another forum, I was advised to pop in either a tin of WGC or 1ltr WJC and and full of sultanas.

I haven't tried it as yet, but does your grape-juice-free recipe have enough body, do you think?

Hiya,yep i will be adding 1 ltr of wgj to the brew,just popping peach's in instead of the orange juice,had a wee sample of one of my other wow's,wore lass and the daughter gave it the thumb's up,so backsweeten in the morn when i re rack it,,job's a good un.
Ian

The peach WOW is now in the pet,awaiting lift off.
Ian
We have lift off,been bubbling like mad since late on last night,looking good.
Ian

Made a white wine from scratch last winter. 9 ltrs wgj, 2 ltrs aj, 3 tins Asda SP peaches.
Topped up to 23 ltrs w/water. Added pectolase y/nutrient etc.,
Fermented out to 16% approx :thumb: , but had added too much sugar so the resulting wine was a little too sweet for swmbo's taste.
I on the other hand found it very palatable, especially odd as I don't normally drink/enjoy white wine.
Only one bottle left! :drink:

Back