Flow Controller

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
djcorbetto said:
If you are worried about the heat, why not fit a small heat sink to it?

I don't think we should be too concerned. It's not going to catch on fire.

Cheers.. thats ok then just checking i didnt have a dodgy one :)

not played with these toys before....

well i have just tested under gravity feed, i filled a tapped fv with about 10l and attached it to the solanoid valve ......

set to measure 1l turned on and not a dribble :), i could suck a sip thru the tube tho so the realy/solanoid is open :(

9713636990_f83b55266c_z.jpg

9710395363_d1377b6a34_z.jpg

will fish out a pump and test again... not tonight tho me eyes are weary .. old age ;)

What valve have you got Fil? It looks like a 2 way valve? Just looking at the port on the base. Mine looks different to that one. Only 2 ports.

the screw cap hides a filter screen and can be used as a bypass, i have also removed the filter as it could have been resisting the flow..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400379332726? ... 1439.l2648

upside down eh? no surprise really :) new toys n all..

its working but it seems the valve needs a bit of back pressure to allow a flow?? according to the ad 0.02mpa i dunno what that means right now tho .. off to google ;)

And just turned it up right way round just in case it mattered.. no difference, i even tried to suck it thru to start, and all i got was a mouthful of pre beer :) no flow.. cest la vie.. looks like pump wil be needed, good job i have 2 relays on te mini board. :)

Im amazed at your reservation bob, id have twisted wire back on itself thru each spade hole and secured/insulated with a bit of tape.. but im inpatient :)

Fil said:
Im amazed at your reservation bob, id have twisted wire back on itself thru each spade hole and secured/insulated with a bit of tape.. but im inpatient :)

:lol: :lol: When I say connectors, I meant 1/2" female connectors to join the valve to the flow meter.

bobsbeer said:
Have you tried reversing the valve to see if it makes a difference? Although I would assume the filter is on the flow in side.
no i haven't but yes afaik the filter screen is on the in-port, as its currently plumbed up...

i have a solar pump so popping that inline isnt gonna be a major job, tho i put its psu away somewhere safe ??? hmm which box was it ....

also due to the valve resistance perhaps some thought needs applying to the issue of any trapped air in feed tubes? i had a big bubble in the 1/2" feed line in the test..

Hard to tell what sort of valve they are. Mine has 4 screws to take off the magnet part. I'm a bit worried of taking it apart to see the insides, but curiosity........... :hmm: Killed the cat comes to mind and I don't want to take it apart and knacker it before I've even used it. :lol:

Okay, I've just taken mine apart. The valve is a diaphragm valve, the same as used in toilet water float valves. It will need pressure to operate, and the higher the pressure the faster the valve will close. That's why it worked when you connected it to the mains pressure, but not on gravity.

i too popped off the solanoid too looks ?? like a washer to me which pops up off a wide lip a mm or so to allow a flow ?? i reassembled quickly as not to loose screws etc should have taken a snap!

:hmm: I'm not sure about there suitability for our application. Done a bit more googling and one similar to mine has the following spec:

Material PE
Specification
Normally closed; Inlet valve (Working water pressure: 0.02~0.8MPa), drain valve (Working water pressure: 0~0.02MPa);
Angle of installation: Parallel (180 degrees);
Connector: G1 / 2 20mm;
Rated working voltage: DC 12V;
Power: 5W;
Rated working current: 0.42A;
DC esistance(20'C): 27.7 +/- 0.6ohms;
Valve mouth diameter: 1.4cm;
External diameter: 2cm;
Length: 1.7cm
Features Environmental altitude not more than 2500m, Atmospheric pressure: 86~106KPa; Environment temperature: 1~45'C; Water temperature: 0~60'C; Storage and transport temperature: -30~60'C; Protection grade: IP00; Relative humidity:
Application Infrared induction sanitary ware, showers, water control machine, automatic water machine, water boiler, etc.

The working pressure is fairly high. 3-11psi

Normally closed; Inlet valve (Working water pressure: 0.02~0.8MPa), drain valve (Working water pressure: 0~0.02MPa);

mine only has the:
Working water pressure: 0.02~0.8MPa

in the ebay ad.. so suggests that yours if turned the other way round?? may need less pressure to open??? or is it contradictory, or assumes a drain will have some sort of Suck??

the selling point of the valve i popped for was the higher liquid temp tolerance -- upto 100C..

however the flow meter is only ok upto 85C which is the max sparge temp id want to measure so not so bad...

anyway a solar pump generates 2m of head, how does that telate to the mpa scale of measurement.....hmmmm :)

Maybe a motorised 12v ball valve will be a better way to go. No rubber diaphragm, and less clogging issues. I found one on ebay for about £15 from china, but they have a 5 second closure time. Although the subsequent overrun volume could be accounted for.

HERE

$T2eC16RHJIkE9qU3kWtOBQ3U(HJ9Cw~~60_12.JPG

20128301858162702716.jpg

Latest posts

Back