Foodie Flavours flavouring

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewnaldo

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi folks iv got a bit stout on the go atm and intend to flavour with vanilla and hazelnut. The plan is 1 or 2 pods soaked in rum, but does anyone have any idea of the sort of dosing rate for these foodie flavours essences for the hazelnut? I'm thinking 20 drops at end of fermentation then check when transferring to bottling bucket

Vanilla is surprisingly hard work imo. You need much more than you think.

I like you idea of making an essence with spirit. Gives you some control. At the end of fermentation put 100ml of stout in a glass and use a syringe to add the essence. 1ml at a time until you get the taste you want.

Other thoughts... Rum will carry some flavour too, vodka might be better.

Vanilla is surprisingly hard work imo. You need much more than you think.

I like you idea of making an essence with spirit. Gives you some control. At the end of fermentation put 100ml of stout in a glass and use a syringe to add the essence. 1ml at a time until you get the taste you want.

Other thoughts... Rum will carry some flavour too, vodka might be better.
Yeah, I'm OK with the rum flavour carrying otherwise I would use vodka as in the past. I like the idea of some of that sticky molasses flavour carrying through. I'm thinking 2 vanilla pods soaked in rum, because like you say, last time I used it 1 wasn't enough.

It is very subtle.
What about making a concentrated spirit essence and then you can judge how much to add?

You might even consider warming the rum & vanilla to 50c in the microwave, to increase the extraction.

Use a clip top jar with the lid on (in the microwave) but no wire. When it comes out, replace wire, seal and shake. Ambient cooling will created a gentle vaccuum.

@Brewnaldo, I've tried Foodie Flavours and one other on the market so here are my thoughts, it may help. At Christmas I tried a Foodie Flavours Vanilla, also a Custard and a Chocolate, that last one was from Etsy and was revolting, it tasted like perfumed cocoa butter!

They were each separately added to a Muntons Milk Stout. I split a fixed ammount of the milk stout into multiple glass and then tested it with multiple drops to each one, tasting each time. I found it goes from extremely mild to overly synthetic very quickly with no real inbetween point. It was an experiment so I laboured on and when I transferred it from the keg to bottles I went conservative with the dosage that I ended up using. In the bottled milk stout that I have left, even 4 month after I added the drops, it's a little too noticable. First 1/3 is interesting but then it quickly becomes unsatisfying as you can tell it's an addition, not part of the drink. I'll probably have those left at next Christmas too.

I'll probably try them again to rule out cackhandedness on my part but if you have the option of making up a batch of your own spirit based flavouring you might have better luck.

Latest posts

Back