For the engineers amongst us

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muddydisco

Landlord.
Reaction score
My new toy I have got to play with. Can't wait to get her wired in and working, oh and a few milling bits to buy :grin:

IMAGE_204.jpg

muddydisco said:
My new toy I have got to play with. Can't wait to get her wired in and working, oh and a few milling bits to buy :grin:

IMAGE_204.jpg
Your asking for trouble putting that on here :rofl:

Now wait for the orders to come flooding in.

Looks just the job. :thumb:

UP

I'm busy enough with bottoms and Tuns/ Hlt's, Please no! I didn't think of that :roll:

Hmmm - nice one :clap:
What is she? - an early Bridgeport?

I've just got my hands on a Thiel 159 but she is resting at a friends place in Macclesfield until I have space to move her in - can't wait :party: :party:

Will have to post pics when she arrives :thumb:

What is she? - an early Bridgeport?
I'm with E here, but as someone said in that famous film "I've just got to know man" ?
Always fancied getting rid of my Adcock and Shipley horizontal and Herbert No 10 vertical and getting a Bridgeport, :hmm: Could I weight that pair in and get a cheap Bridgeport in this current climate........... there's always good news if you look hard enough :lol:
S

It's a Marlow, Model No#1 early 60's at a guess. Table size 22" x 6.5" with 15" of longitudinal travel and 9.5 inches across, Theres a bit of backlash in the longitudial threads but It'll do for my purposes. Just happened to talk to a mate at work and he said he was getting rid of, so I tore his hand off!
The lump hammer was just to align the pillar bolt holes. This thing must weight over 500Kg, It had to be built using the chain hoists :?

It's a Marlow, Model No#1
Don't know it ;) but looks a nice bit of kit, as you say backlash is not a problem.
What's the snout taper, I think I have a couple of INT 30 bits, that don't fit my machines.
S

muddydisco said:
It's a Marlow, Model No#1 early 60's at a guess.

Interesting, have a look at this http://www.lathes.co.uk/marlowmiller/

Has it got a Nikkon collet fitted :hmm:

muddydisco said:
This thing must weight over 500Kg, It had to be built using the chain hoists :?

I know that problem - according to the fork lift that took mine off the articulated lorry, it weighs almost 1.5 tonnes :shock: - How the hell I am going to get it down my sloping driveway is taxing me somewhat :?

Will look forward to seeing your Marlow back in action :thumb:

A Very handy machine, I would advise a set of ER Collets and Head, a set of clamps for what ever slot size you have Here, I love the ER system, grip anything easily and quickly, let the shopping begin, oh yeah and a good machine vice, I find J and L industrial good value

ok your your getting to :ugeek: for me! I know about the grips and vice, that set looks good bru :thumb: All this collet talk is past me? How can I tell what type it is! I got a single bit with it which is 10mm straight shanked and a thread on the end, not got around to looking type of tooling I need yet :oops:

It looks like a clarkson chuck you have but I may be wrong, disassemble it and take a pic, if so it's a royal pain in the **** as every mill,slot drill, cutter will have to be threaded and you can't use a normal drill, this is where The ER Collet set comes in, it does not need the thread and will hold anything, this allows you to use the mill for precision drilling (Jig Boring). Now, each collet can only hold a small range of sizes, ie. 3-4mm,4-5mm and so on so you will need the set, Mine is ER32 so I can hold a tool or drill with a shank of 20mm dia, er 40 goes up to 25mm. You will need somthing to hold all these collets, a collet chuck, but there are loads of types because the taper in the head of milling machines will only take one type, From MT (morse taper), BT40, INT40, R8, and so on, you need to find out what type yours is, a call to previous owner or it may be on the plate or existing chuck. Some are expensive and some are cheap, you don't need to go mad, I got my set from here RDG Tools they are well priced. I hope this helps somewhat. First things first, find out what you got.
Most systems use a drawbar to pull the chuck up to the head, loosen the locking nuts only and a sharp knock to the bar will knock out the chuck.

Don't hesitate to ask anything
Bru

IMAGE_205.jpg

There it is 20mm dia start of taper 24mm at finish of taper with female thread inside

Your in Luck, it looks like your mill head takes a MT3 chuck going by the look of the taper and the dimensions, common and cheap to buy, and looking at the photo you have a TG (Tremendous Grip) :roll: Single angle collet chuck, am I right in thinking thre is no thread in the collet, this means you can hold anything in them, now there are three types 75TG (25mm x 47mm Long), 100TG (35mm x 60.6mm Long) and 150TG (50.8 x 76.5mm long), probably the 75, you can buy individuals but a set would be better, is there any writing on the chuck which confirms any of these measurements does the collet look like This

Latest posts

Back