Forbidden Fruit - All time Favourite

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveJnr69

Reaction score
Hi, This is only my second post on here.

I've just started my first batch of home brew after a massive break from the hobby.

Hoegaarden Forbidden Fruit
I wanted to share with you my favourite beer and perhaps you can get a feeling for my tastes and what to brew next. I first found this beer many years ago in a bar in Leeuwarden in Holland when I was there with work.
It is certainly a strong beer at above 8% abv and has a fruity aroma to it. It sits in a belgian style beer glass with a lovely ruby red colour and a strawberry blonde head.
I have a sweet tooth and so I guess thats why I love the sweetness of the flavour and the punch from the strength. It has a spicy taste to it, I believe the websites say it is spiced with corriander.

Sadly, the nearest stockist to me that I have found is in York but I always pick up a few bottles when I am there.

I am currently brewing "Brewferm Triple" at the moment and hope that I have a nice pint at the end. I would love to know if there are any kits people believe come close to Forbidden Fruit.

I've never heard of that Hoegaarden variety before but it does sound lovely!

The Brewferm kits are superb and I'm sure you'll be impressed with the Tripel. It wouldn't be too hard to modify a Brewferm kit to add some corriander (I think you use whole seeds in a bag, not sure if they might need a little bit of a boil?).

Is there there *actual* fruit in the original or is the fruitiness coming from interesting hops?

Good question. I'm not really sure. I suspect it must come from the hops.

The Triple in the FV is coming along nicely. Its been on the go a week now and the occasional bubble is still coming from the airlock. I'll follow the instructions and put it in the second FV (which I ended up buying this week) this coming Tuesday.

The anticipation is building

Back