Free electrical advice please.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeltz

Landlord.
Reaction score
Well opinion really.

The toaster went pop this morning with a small flash and stopped working. Turns out it destroyed the socket while it did so as the socket was dead after, as I found out when I plugged in a new toaster and it didn't work, and nor did anything else I plugged into it.

Having replaced the socket this afternoon all is good but I've never come across a socket being killed before and just wondered if I should be concerned as I bought the exact same toaster to replace it, a 4 slice Tesco value one.

would never buy a value electrical item, you get what ya pay for!

But it depends on the surge from the toaster i guess, thats the problem with cheap ****, basic electrics!

I'm no expert, just the average Joe, but it sounds more like a faulty socket to me, the toaster should have blown the fuse before the socket :hmm:

Thanks guys the the old toaster is dead and the new socket works fine (so far). The socket was about 12 years old so plenty of time for it to show problems. My 1st thought was that the plug fuse or fuse box breaker should have protected it, there were no visual indications of problems and the other sockets on the ring were fine. Its all very odd!

How old is your consumer unit? How old is your house? The socket sounds like it's way past it but realistically shouldn't have been allowed to draw so much current and melt. Sockets are rated to 13A but much more in fault conditions for a short period. The other thing you have to consider is what kind of a state your wiring is in after a big overload. Was it RCD protected?

The house is over 100 but the consumer unit, wiring and socket are about 12 years old and there was no external sign of melting. Which is why I asked the question.

I am tending to agree with Vossy, I think the only possible explanation is that there was something wrong within the socked which melted at way below 13A. I don't think we have used that socket for anything beefy. The toaster (1400W) and Microwave (800W) stay plugged in there.

I'm not in your house and havent seen the socket but if the socket was to blame the toaster should have been unaffected. I envisage the toaster having a fault to earth pulling a fault current and the circuit breaker not operating before the internals of the socket getting hot and melting. I'm an electrician if that validates my reasoning at all. The alternative being a loose neutral in the socket, the toaster short cicrcuiting and the large resistance in the neutral creating enough heat to melt the internals of the socket. The third alternative is a loose neutral in the socket creating heat on its own and damaging the socket but I see no reason for that the break the toaster.

Do you have an RCD and is your consumer unit an MCB board or rewireable fuaes

ive just read your post again. if the small flash was in the toaster then the toaster itself had a fault not the socket and the socket got taken out from taking the current to earth or neutral. Same questions as above (is it RCD protected/is it an MCB board or rewireable)

I agree with Belter and I'm a Lecturer in Electrical Engineering / Installation. The fault will have caused part of the socket ( most probably a weak point such as the switch contacts ) to blow / melt away. I would have taken the socket apart after removing it to discover more. ( how sad is that)

Thesparky said:
I agree with Belter and I'm a Lecturer in Electrical Engineering / Installation. The fault will have caused part of the socket ( most probably a weak point such as the switch contacts ) to blow / melt away. I would have taken the socket apart after removing it to discover more. ( how sad is that)

:-) I would have done the same.

Where do you lecture? I'm trying to do my HNC/HND Electrical Engineering to get me off the tools but can't find anywhere near Cornwall that runs the course. I've thought about Distance Learning but fear I wont keep up with it with a family at home and no personal space to study.

I lecture in Telford Shropshire. I know what you mean with distance learning you have to be very disciplined and have a private study area. When I did my teaching quals I had an office in the back of the garage to lock myself away in. Now I use it to lock myself away in as it the start of my brewery.

MCB's

I have retrieved the socket from the bin and taken it apart. There is blackening on several contacts most notably the switch controlling the toaster side. Clearly sufficient to insulate the contacts.

I opened it without knowing there are non secured parts so I don't know if they were all where they should be as they fell out as i took it apart.

in which case I'd say it's probably an old socket that didnt like the fault current. Without a test meter it's hard to determine wether anything else electrical was at fault. Now you've replaced that socket id replace the rest of them in your house :-)

i would also check the trip switch in your consumer unit for that socket/sockets it should of tripped before blowing the socket , i know of several cheap kettles that have gone bang but never have blown the socket up , just blown the fuse in the plug :thumb: to this day i think its the same socket thats been there for 20 odd years

Vossy1 said:
I'm no expert, just the average Joe, but it sounds more like a faulty socket to me
[quote:345062nr]in which case I'd say it's probably an old socket that didnt like the fault current.
:whistle: :lol: :tongue: ...seriously...listen to the guys that know (that's not me just to avoid confusion) :cool:[/quote:345062nr]

the socket wasnt faulty as far as I can tell. The toaster was. But the socket didnt like the faulty current. Would provably have carried on fine if the toaster didnt blow

Back