FV Bucket Size

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IronGiant

Reaction score
About to get setup for my first brew. Just a couple of questions before I start getting equipment.
Initially I am looking to so smaller batch brews of around 11 litres.

Two questions:
  1. Is it ok to ferment a small batch of 11 litres in a 23 litre bucket considering the extra oxygen in the space or doesnt this matter?
  2. Can the 23 litre All Grain brewing kits be split into two separate brews on different dates or are there drawbacks to this?
Thanks
C

Hi Mr I G
Interesting question that arises often. I would say, (because its what I do) for 10 L batches you need a 15 L bucket.
The BIG advantage of this is that you can clean and sterilise it in a kitchen sink, Also, using a sieve, you can sparge into
the same bucket and add this to your boil. Trust this helps - its just dead simple. Simple is best IMO.

Answer 1: yes, you can ferment in a larger bucket (fermenting vessel, or FV). The co2 created by the yeast gradually forces out most of the original air reducing oxygen to really low levels. That not an issue.

Answer 2: it depends on the kit. Some kits may have separate bags of grain, so you may easily weigh out the fraction you want. Other kits come with all the grain in one bag, so unless the grain is thoroughly mixed in that bag you won't know what proportion of each type of grain you will get if you pour out half a bag. It could work so long as you ensure a thorough mix in the bag.

Last edited:
Last year I needed to split my brews in half to make them easier to lift while I was recovering from surgery. My 23-25 litre buckets, while not ideal for small batches, did the job well enough. As cushyno suggested, the co2 will sit on top of the beer and push the oxygen out so don't worry

Cheers Tom

Latest posts

Back