Gas or Electric

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcscruff

Reaction score
Hi all,
My current setup has just been small kitchen gas hob brewing.

I have now moved and about to go bigger. I have the choice of either Electric or gas.
Both need me to buy something to finish the setup (gas burner for gas, power regulator for electric).

Just wanted to know peoples opinions

I have used both setups and boyth work very well

But , now I am on a hopcat on electric, I do find it a bit better with control. I also do not need to worry about the tank running out.

My preference would be leccy but Gas is a great choice too. It can depends on circumstances like do you brew outside ect (which you will need too with a propane burner)

Do you think electric is cheaper then gas? I would think its more now (uk). I have the choice of indoor or outdoor.

Electric looks like it offers the best control.

I dont know, when I switched over to electricity it was last year.

At that time my 13kg propane gass bottle fill went from £25 to about £36. SO the price shot up. No idea what it is now.

The cost of mains gas per kWh is cheaper than electricity by about a factor of 3 from my bill. However, 100% of the power from electricity goes into your kettle/liquor/wort, whereas with gas, some of it (I don't know how much) goes up and around your equipment and not into it (even more if it's windy).

I expect bottled gas is far more expensive per unit than mains gas, and I guess that bottled gas is probably more expensive than electricity per kWh. I don't know though.

Electricity is far more convenient and offers you much more control than gas does.
Energy is still not prohibitively expensive (I think it costs me about £1-2 per brew at the moment on electric) so unless you brew huge amounts, your equipment (over your lifetime) will probably cost far more than the cost of the energy.

Latest posts

Back