Gas v Electric?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnelson

Reaction score
HI,

Just joined the forum, but been brewing for years. I cam across the forum because I was searching for a way to upgrade my boiler. I currently have an old 15 gallon plastic bucket with two 2.4 kW elements in for 10 gallon brews. One of the elements has started cutting out, so I reckon it needs replacing. I've done this 2 or 3 times over the years, and the hole is starting to get a a bit worn, and on the last boil started leaking.

So instead of throwing good money after bad, I decided to look into buying a new boiler. The one I currently use was bought from hop and grape (and I added the second element), but they don't sell it any more. Plus, my google searches suggest I can get a stainless steel one for similar money. This led me onto thinking of using gas for the boil. As mentioned elsewhere on the forum, I have to use two separate ring mains when bringing my wort up to boil, and once the boil is finished I'm always rather concerned at just how hot the plug and socket are from full usage for 70 odd minutes.

However, reading the views on here, most seem to prefer electric. Is there a reason for this? What are the drawbacks of gas? I tend to boil in my garage with the door open, having dragged the boiler towards the open door after sparging.

My thoughts are, if I swap to gas I have to worry about running out half way through a boil (so need two cylinders or have a backup element in the kettle too?). If I stick to electric, should I get an electrician in and get a separate circuit added that can take the constant high load? Plus, I will then have the ongoing costs of replacing elements over the years.

From following a couple of these threads, there are a couple of sites that would sell 100 l steel boilers for about 100-110 squids, which seems to me about the price I'd pay to build one myself, and I'm not experienced at cutting steel.

I'd appreciate others thoughts and comments. Thanks!

It's my understanding that it is cheaper to use electric, as you are directly heating the water as opposed to heating the container which in turn heats the water. I don't know the maths behind it though so cant confirm if that is true. But to be honest I think it may be a culture thing. When I was in Oz, the leaning was towards gas, as it is in the States. I still find it odd that people would heat their water in a plastic container, which appears to be a UK thing. My preference is towards electric, but I'm working towards 5 gallon brews and so issues with power loads on my circuits is not that much of a problem.

Neil

You say you are near an open garage door, ideal place for a rocket stove, check out on youtube, i was using the brick build version last year, 2ltrs boiling water in 10 minutes, doesnt sound much but its off grid and free, you could make/buy a trolley and wheel your vessel over the flame for temperature control, cheers Dave

Thank for the replies. I've never worked out which is cheaper to run, as electric is more expensive to buy I think. A wood burning stove would definitely be cheaper though, but require constant maintenance. My last brew has ended up slightly cloudy, and I think it is because I failed to maintain a good rolling boil, so I'd rather go for a heat source that is constant. Tempted to try building one of those in the garden for fun though!

Electric is cheaper. Although I use gas for my 150L kit. Have you seen the cost of upgrading a shed supply to 32A! !!!!! Which you can't do yourself.

My boiler has a heat shroud which prevents (well uses really) the waste heat rising up the sides of the boiler. I use a 11KW paella burner and have to turn it half off (it has two rings) once the wort is boiling

For a 150 ltr brew i would guestimate less then one pallets worth of wood, your shroud in the rocket stove world is called a pot skirt, makes a hell of a difference to heat loss, jut a thought, cheers Dave ps i keep saying, its free

You could always go with a stainless steel pot and add the elements to it, then you'll get a better seal. I've got a SS BIAB setup ordered from Powell Brewing with the holes for elements pre cut. Then no burning grain or bag with gas burner :party:

Hi
I used gas with my 1st 2 boilers. The first was a 19 litre Ebay cheapo effort that didn't last long. It's demise encouraged me to upgrade to a 33 litre Berglands pot for a full-length boil. My gas hob has one of those extra large, 5th, middle burners - think it's meant to be a wok burner?

Upgraded again to a 60 litre boiler for 10 gallon brews. I went electric, with 1 x 3kw and 1 x 2kw elephants. Although the gas burner was extra large, it took a long time to get the 33 litre pot to the boil, and struggled to maintain it. The 'leccy elements bring the 60 litre pot to the boil more quickly, and the 3kw element on its own maintains a vigorous boil

Although I've never tried paella pan high power gas burners, I plan to stick with electric in future.

Cheers,
Chris

When I built my copper, propane was pennies and it works very well for me. However, propane is eye wateringly expensive to the point where I have a medium term plan to invest in rebuilding my whole brewery to electric. I started last week by running a new 10mm feed into the shed. The aim is to go from 8 gallon to 20 gallon and on electric the running costs won't be too much more due to the cost savings on energy.

The last few comments have made me think sticking to electric might be best. I hadn't realised gas was so expensive these days, I've just been assuming that it is camponggaz that have been rippong me off for their little bottles.

In which case, I think replacing the dodgy plastic boiler (never liked it, just was all I could afford) and getting it with a couple of elements is the way forward. Will definitely get a price on adding a separate fuse box for running it though too.

I've been ogling the shiny stuff powell brewing sell. Has anyone had any dealings with them?

Glyn

Latest posts

Back