Genius MkII Experiment on Saturday - Random Brew on Sunday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
collected 20 litres (much better than yesterday) of wort before i hit 1.008. wort in the bucket was 1.050.

into the boiler it goes! :)

ROFLMAO... you know, in all this time of AG brewing, i've never thought to adjust my reading when measuring runnings *smacks head against the wall*

so does that mean i should be stopping at 1.021 on the hydro at about 65-70c?

edit or does that mean that when i'm stopping at 1.008 at 65'c it actually means i've been stopping at 1.021

oh ******** hahahaha

:oops: :oops: :oops:

all this time i've been stopping the running WELL short! no wonder my beer tastes so good :D

To be honest the practice of stopping sparging early (as you have been) is a good one IMO, next time, up the grain bill so you extract more volume wise and continue to stop around the 1.020 mark :cool:

hot break come and gone. 1st hops in.

Wez, i think this is why i've been struggling to work out my efficiency you know. cos what's been coming out of the boiler has always been about 15-20L, but usually way above the 1.050 mark. so i've been having to top up with water to bring to volume and get the OG down. TBH i've always hit my target OG, mostly because i've had that control at the end where i just add water till i reach my gravity hehe. cheating but hey.

ok well next time i'm going to run it down to .995 (uncorrected) leaving it still above tanin extraction level and see how that turns out after the boil at least then i've got a clear idea of my efficiency without having to try to work it because i've added water etc

Ha ha ha ha Oh dear :lol:

I've just had a thought, you brewed your taRd recipe again yesterday, does that make it re-tard :lol: ?

I'll get my coat.

I may get flamed for saying this but I never check my runnings any more, it just creates more stuff to wash up. I've got to know my gear now and know that if I mash with ~ 2.5l of water per kg grain and sparge with a volume equal to the volume I require in the fermenter then after an hour and a half boil I'll end up hitting my volume and gravity on the nose (@75% eff).

IMHO People need to chill out when brewing otherwise you'll end up either freaking out over every little thing. Take tannin extraction for example, people go to extraordinary lengths to avoid over sparging their grain. I've over sparged before by around a gallon and the brew didn't suffer in the slightest, in fact it turned me on to lower gravity ales. The hop aroma wasn't competing with as much alcohol and it really shone through and at 3.5% there was nothing to hide any flaws behind.

bob_ross_1.jpg

I think TV's most popular painting mentalist Bob Ross said it best when he said "There are no such things as mistakes, only happy accidents" although the folks at Chernobyl would probably disagree with him!

hahaha

well this brew has a name, Wasp Nectar as a wasp just landed in my boiling wort. no doubt it'll get filtered out along with the hops. but i wasn't best pleased when trying to swat it, it took a dive-bomb straight into the wort.

hope it wont affect the beer. I wont tell my vegan friends :twisted:

Boiler off, chiller doin its thing. fermenter, spoon and hydrometer sanitising... ahhh i like these relaxing brewdays :D

15L of 1.075 :shock:

i'll top that up to 20L to fill a cornie and jobs a goodun' :party:

topped up with water to 20L, finished at a cool 1.055 :cool:

Used safeale 04

at 75% attenuation (i think that's what s04 has)

it should reach 1.013 which will be a bit of a stonker at 5.7% :twisted:

I think i'll rename it from Wasp Nectar to Wasp Stinger!!!

Great! Now you really can sit down and relax :D You earned a beer :party:

certainly have :D

and thanks for the "cheerleading" it's good to have someone cheering you on as you go ;)

hangon isn't safeale 04 70% attenuation?

if it is then it's still gunna be potent at an FG of 1.016 and 5.3% :D

Back