geordie lager kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeanoD

Reaction score
this is my second batch of this as my first one didnt last that long :shock: it got drunk over christmas ,ive brewed this one to 20 litres and used bottled water as my last batch had a bit of a offish taste it couldnt be the way i sterilised because ive used 2 different types and had same taste in my better brew ipa as well so hopefully ive traced the problem anyway i just i would let you know what ive been upto tonight :thumb:

Good stuff! Do you live in a hard water area? You can use Campden Tablets to treat the water from the tap. This should neutralise the chlorine taste etc but bottled water is better!
What Steriliser do you use?

neddy said:
Was u pleased with this kit as I've got one to do along with 10 other kits
yeah for a cheap kit it was ok but i would make it to 20 litres as it tasted abit watery
carl_saint said:
Good stuff! Do you live in a hard water area? You can use Campden Tablets to treat the water from the tap. This should neutralise the chlorine taste etc but bottled water is better!
What Steriliser do you use?
first time i used vwp and assumed i hadnt rinsed it out properly , so i changed to milton no rinse steriliser washed it out a few times even though you dont need to , i then brewed a better brew ipa and still got same smell and watery taste so this time decided to use tesco value still water so fingers crossed ive cracked it

Cheers for advice. I'll do it to 20l then. I did use vwp then swopped to ritches steriliser which found to be good but also use the wilko stuff aswell. I've started to use camden tablet in last few brews as read on here about it helping with water. Just done coopers mexican cerveza and just transferring wherry into 2nd fv at mo

i dont know if brewing to 20 litres will give it any body , but im sure ive read on here that the cheaper kits should be brewed shorter my first one was done to 25 litres ,ive also added some golden syrup to this brew so hopefully that will give it abit of flavour ;) , just hoping the bottled water will stop that taste if it has its not going to break the bank its only 17p for 2 litres so is probably cheaper than tap water :D

Back